Holding a hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe17

Hedgehog lover!
I have never owned a hedgehog before but I have owned a few rats and guinea pigs. I was wondering how hedgehogs react when being held. I mean do they constantly move and crawl like a hamster? Do they chill out and take a nap sometimes? I know when I had a rat, they could not keep still crawling all over my shoulders and head. Does this all depend on personality?

It all depends on the hedgehog. Most of the time mine cant keep still, she wants to explore but if I pick her up when she's been sleeping she will continue to snooze on me until she's good and ready to wake up, and then she will crawl around. Other days, she just relaxes.

It's all in the hedgehog personality and what kind of day they are having, thats what makes them so fun! :)

I think, for the most part, hedgehogs are explorers - you get some that aren't, but if you're looking for the more common personality I think crawling around and exploring is definitely more common!

You're welcome! :)

Sookie (the friendly one) can't sit still unless she is hiding under something. Being underneath or hiding inside of something is the most comfortable for her, whether she's sleeping on my lap or wandering around, or in her cage. Usually when I pick her up she is immediately scrambling but that doesn't mean she doesn't like me. There are times when she WANTS me to pick her up and she won't hesitate to let me know. I think it depends on the hedgie. My other one wants nothing to do with me, but I know he appreciates me anyway!

Back