Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L_frady

I just woke up its 1 o'clock in the morning here and my chinchilla wouldn't move from his laying down spot on his side, which is really weird for him. I finally got him up by petting him but then he started crawling. He was having a hard time walking so I panic and I get him out to check him. I put him in the floor and he slowly walks away and then starts exploring like he normally does. Then I go to pick him back up and he just runs with no problem like he normally does!

So when I finally got him back in the cage, he wanted back out but when I shut the door he when to jump to his ledge and fell but then went on like nothing ever happened. He made it all the way to the top of his 3 level cage and when on his favorite ledge. Now he is laying on his side (which is normal for him, he loves laying like that)

But something is wrong! He has had past UTIs. The only thing I can think of is I redid their cage with more ledges and bridges. Maybe he hurt himself? His cage mate is trying to groom him but he is chirping at him.

The problem is tomorrow is Sunday, there is no vet office open and I'm suppose to leave town tomorrow! I cannot leave him like this but I can't cancel this trip due to health reasons. My brother is suppose to be watching them while I'm gone but he doesn't know a thing about chinchillas or their doctor.

What do I do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is walking fine now but he randomly starts crawling or stretching his body, could this possibly be a hair ring? I thought his penis looked white but when I got him back out, he looks fine. Everything looks good.

Sounds like bloat to me, he does need a vet visit ASAP. For now you can give him simethicone (baby gas drops), a full dropper every 2-3 hours (you cant overdose) and you need to make sure he is eating. The vet will confirm and RX drugs for pain and gut motility. This can't be ignored nor will go away on its own if it is bloat, so maybe post your location and see if anyone here can point you to a emergency vet.

Bloat can turn into stasis rapidly, read this thread for the treatment if it is bloat.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

Thank you for that great information! I do have an emergency vet a hour away but I would have to check if they do exotics. He is eating, pooping and playing like nothing ever happened this morning. Would a bloat symptoms disappear for awhile like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back