help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms316

On Monday I purchased two female chinchilla from a guy off of craigslist. When I got home I realized that one of the females felt big, well Thursday comes around and she had three babies. I am having trouble with one of the babies and I am afraid he is not going to make it, he is a lot smaller than the other two an seems a lot weaker. I've Been trying to feed him some goats milk, by he doesn't seem to be eating it, is there a Certain way I am supposed to feed him? I also started to notice him shivering like he was cold.

Check out the FAQ in the breeding section. There is a very detailed description how to feed a kit. He may be premature if he is quite smaller than his siblings. Keep him warmed up and supplement him ever 2 hrs.

Pipsqueak (that's what I named him) did not make it. He passed away that same night at around 3:30, I last checked on him at 3, he didn't look good at all. When I weighed him he was only 15 grams, I feel so bad he was so small and helpless, I tried feeding him, I don't know how much he ate. Its been three days and the other two seem to be doing fine, they are running around the cage and eating good.

I'd weigh them every day to make sure they are actively gaining. And their bellies feel full and warm if they are actively eating. I'm sorry your little guy didn't make it :(

15g is REALLY tiny...probably premature so don't beat yourself up...I mean, it always sucks to lose one :( but there was probably not much you could've done. NOW, the other two should make it if they aren't premature as well...keep weights, I do twice a day (morning and night) for the first two weeks...any gain is a good gain

The babies are two weeks and two days old, they are gaining a lot of weight and are very active! I believe they are both around 80 grams, when they were born it was 20 and 25 grams.

Yeah, even for triplets those are VERY low weights...my triplets (and quadruplets) usually range between 40 & 55g per kit. Well, good job on two weeks...keep up the good work!

Back