Help with colors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paws4Chins

Chin Spirit
This is Chong: Is he a Mosaic?

This is Cheech? Is he a TOV Ebony (his underside is black and is actually darker than the first photo show)? Med, Dark, or Extra Dark?

Thanks for the help

Chili looks to be a brown velvet..... because of the darker veiling on top. A regular hetero beige would be lighter, and a homo beige would almost be like a creamy beige color.

Patagonia is definitely a black velvet.

On Chong, what color spots are those? It might be the color being off on my computer, but the one almost looks dark beige. If all the markings are grey/black, then Chong is mosaic. If any of the markings (the gray/black) are on Chong's belly, then Chong would be a white ebony.

From your pictures, I can't tell if Cheech is a TOV ebony. To be a TOV ebony, he would have to be ebony all around and have the darker veiling on top, the way a black velvet does-- so he would look like a black velvet with a gray belly. It looks, from the fact that his face is pretty much black, that is is a TOV ebony.

Of course I have no good pictures of my TOV ebony, but this is how one would look: black face, darker veiling on top, gray belly. With TOV, I have never heard anyone say "medium TOV ebony" - but I imagine that's what it would be...because if it was extra dark, you'd never notice the veiling (which isn't the case here) and if it was too light, you'd just think dirty belly.

pash_2.JPG

Just as an example, the chin on the right is a extra dark eb.

girls5.JPG

Chong's spots are grey/black no brown in them and no spots on belly

Here are some more pictures of Cheech (sorry the belly picture is a bit washed out from flash but you can see he has a black belly.)

Ok, so then Chong would be a mosaic.

With those new pics you added, I would say that Cheech is a TOV ebony.

I forgot to mention that the TOV Ebony has 1 silver/white toe on each hind foot. Is this normal for the color. Also, the one that is a Brown Velvet has a small silvery spot on his forehead...is this normal for the color?

Back