Help needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naenae81

My chinchilla named fuu fuu is 7 yr old male. The last week or so I've noticed his penis has gotten bigger, and somewhat hanging. he is a solo chinchilla. No sexual activity. He has no problem with peeing. Is this normal? Please see posted picture. Greatly appreciate your comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 62
I did check for the presence of hair rings and there were none. Is it normal to look like this or is this what it's called "out of the sheath?"

Should I be bringing him to the vet? He has no trouble eating, pooing, or peeing. He's actually doing lots of that.

I have posted another picture at a different angle.

Thanx :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 46
Did you fully extend his penis? ZZ had a hair ring a while back and it was pretty far down. I would recommend checking again, and if there is no hair ring you may want to add some extra KY to the tip to help it slide back into place.

Checking far down being its closer to his belly side or the tip of the penis? Unfortunately he doesn't sit still enough for me to fully extend his penis to check. From the pictures, should I be concern and bring him to a vet or is this normal looking and has happened to other owners before?

Would someone be able to post a picture of the kind of ky jelly I should be buying. Thanx.

To me, if a penis will not retract and its clear of a hair ring, I start to worry. This is a symptom of a few things and should not be ignored.

Just plain KY lubricating jelly with nothing added. You should be able to find it in a drug store. If you can't find it ask a pharmacist. It might help if someone else held the chin while you did the hair ring check. You must examine the whole penis.

It's important that the chin be checked for a hair ring. If you can't do it then take him to a vet to be checked. If he doesn't have a hair ring then take him to a vet as mentioned above.

It is difficult to tell from the pictures you posted but from what you said he needs medical attention if you don't find a hair ring and remove it.

I can't really see the pictures, but they almost don't look like the penis is out from what I can see? It just looks like the shaft to me. Can anyone else see the pictures larger?

From the second picture it looks like the penis is about a quarter of the way out of the sheath. If you don't feel comfortable checking for a hair ring, or can't, then take him to a chin competent vet for help. If there is no hair ring, there could be something more serious wrong with him.

Did you watch Ticklechin's video on how to do a hair ring check? In the beginning you can see how his penis is not extended at all and then clearly you can tell when it is. I think this is a good video to watch if you aren't sure what you are doing.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts and reply.

I brought FUU FUU to the vet. He checked for presence of a hair ring but there was none. But he said most likely he did have one and now its gone, causing it to have a hematoma along with swelling. There was some darker spots of blood at the top of the shaft. He was prescribed some topical antibiotics to use twice a day. I hope we will see some healing in a few days.

Back