Help Identify Please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
My friend has chins and thought they were all standard grays. Can you help me with what color these 2 would be? They are sisters and I'm posting a photo of their mom below them, and was told dad is "gray". I know no further information. Are they violets???

Alaska_Pichachu.jpg

Rico.jpg

Yup, they look like hetero beiges. So, I'm assuming dad was not a "gray."

Dad can be a gray and make beiges, as long as the mom was a beige or a PW, but not two grays. Then again, judging by the condition and quality of those animals, I'd guess the "breeder" didn't know what color she had anyway.

I agree with stack, two beiges and a standard.

http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/genetics/ChinCrossCalculator.aspx

I never know if that link takes you to the results or not, but if not, just enter hetero beige and gray or gray and PW.

Help me to understand....beiges don't necesarily (sp?) have to LOOK beige - they can look gray (or gray with ear freckles) as my friend says. The "breeder" thought she'd purchased a boy from the petstore and ended up with these cuties much to her surprise.

Beiges pretty much just look like beiges. There might be different phases, from light to dark, but I can't say as I've ever see a beige I would mistake for a gray.

The "breeder" thought she'd purchased a boy from the petstore and ended up with these cuties much to her surprise.

Great, so she's breeding fur chewing pet store chins. That's excellent. If she bought the mom already pregnant, she has no clue what the father was. Just because there was a gray in the tank, doesn't mean that's the one that impregnated her.

Great, so she's breeding fur chewing pet store chins. That's excellent. If she bought the mom already pregnant, she has no clue what the father was. Just because there was a gray in the tank, doesn't mean that's the one that impregnated her.

She did not breed them intentionally. She got Rico home and thought he was a male. It was her first chin....she only knew that he was in a cage with another gray male....or so she was told. She did not intend to breed chins - she only wanted a pet. She got another male - and shortly there after these chins were born. She assumed the other one at the store was the father - because she says they are gray....her other male is black, and she had since seperated them with the male in one cage and the females all in another cage.

The first pic is the kits born, they are beige. The second is the mother, she is a standard. So the father had to be beige.

Define shortly, the gestation period for a chin is 111 days, it is not "shortly" after the breeding.

If she thought the beiges were std, then there's a big possibility that she didn't really know what color the other one(s) in the tank were.

Is there for sure two girls? Otherwise the cycle is just going to start all over again.

Define shortly, the gestation period for a chin is 111 days, it is not "shortly" after the breeding.

Is there for sure two girls? Otherwise the cycle is just going to start all over again.

She said it was just under 2 months from when she brought Rico home...regardless - the chins are here now. All 3, Rico and the 2 offspring - are girls - She actually did take them to a vet shortly after they were born (2yrs ago) - and the 3 kit - was a boy - he and her other boy are in a seperate cage.

The top pic looks like a beige chinchilla and the bottom one a standard

Aileen

Not to down play vets, but I know vets who can't sex a chin properly. But usually they "all" end up being males, so the vets probable right on that one. :p

I would say the first pic are beiges and the second is a standard. I have both colors in my home....hope this helps. (:) Good luck!

Am I the only one not surprised at all to hear a beige chin referred to as gray? I constantly see classifieds listing beige chins as gray. The "uniformed" will call it like they see it, having no knowledge of the correct color terms. I've seen many interesting/incorrect colors for sale.

I just sent a PM to Carol because it's not about the OP. I just wanted to post that there are some great pics of sexing chins online, you can search for them and sex your own chins. Vets although they are meaning well, can often mistake chins sex. It's easy and once you know, you can help your friend to make sure that the Males are really separated from the Females. I wish you guys luck, and I think the other postings about the colors are right. You'll never know how many other chins passed through the cages between visits to the petstore. I'd be willing to place a bet though that the daddy was a beige or PW. Good luck - Jessica

You would have to have beige and Ebonys together for tans if I am not mistaken(not unheard of). With a standard female and beige male you wouldn't get tans. Also tans wouldn't have white bellies.

Okay, so, you all knew this was a beige not necessarily by just looking at it but mostly by the colors and genetics of the parents, right? Could this have been a tan if it looked exactly as it did but the parents were an eb and a standard? I don't mean to drive you all nuts.

Could this have been a tan if it looked exactly as it did but the parents were an eb and a standard?
No, because there would be no beige in there then.

Back