Help! Heat Stroke!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard1

Hi all, I really really need the knowledge of someone that has dealt with a Chin suffering from heat stroke.

I was cleaning Gabanna's cage today and thought he could use a little bit of fresh air so I took his entire cage onto my backyard deck. While cleaning out his bedding etc I left him and the cage in the shade. After cleaning, I quickly went back into the house to vacuum the area around the cage to get rid of droppings and loose fur.

When I returned he was laying in a corner and was completely unresponsive o_O''''' (only eyes moved a little and could see his abdomen from breathing). I quickly placed him on top of one of my house's vents so that he could cool down with air conditioning.

After scouring the internet for info, I placed him ontop of a frozen bag of peas for a good while and he started blinking more and moving/twitching every so often. After that I bought a bag of ice and then placed him ontop of a piece of paper to avoid shock from direct contact with ice.

He is now a tad more responsive (when I lay him on his back he flicks his tail and rolls his body to get upright), but basically just lays there and occasionally tries to get up but falls back down.

The accident occurred around Noon and it is now nearly 10pm! Can anyone that has experienced something like this before shed some light on the expected recovery time frame for a chin? Should it be taking this long? Is there some really bad damage that has been done?

Please please help me and my buddy! :cry3:

Your chinchilla needs to get to a vet as soon as possible. Heatstroke can cause permanent neurological damage, and can kill your chinchilla.

You must bring your chin to the emergency vet immediately. Just because he is responsive does not mean he is okay, and he can still die.

immediate vet visit, go now!

chins shouldn't go outside, there are just too many variables outdoors that could spell danger for a chin.

we're all hoping for the best! Please let us know what happens to your buddy. Hopefully we hear some good news!

Any update? Your chin should have seen a vet by now...actually he should have seen one immediately after the incident. Heat stroke is VERY serious, and a chin needs to be kept in temperatures below 72 degrees. I hope he pulls through...

Please let us know an update!! I am praying for your little one!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope your buddy pulls through this.

Back