help & advice please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeanneAlese

I have 3 chinchillas, I got my first one in october & I was fine with him, I got my second in early novemeber. By the end of november I started having a stuffy & runny nose, Its now march & I still am having the same symptoms. I took antibiotics for a sinus infection which didnt work & I have also been taking claratin but thats not working either. This stuffy/runny nose is driving me insane!!! & now the past few days im having trouble breathing im wheezing & coughing & its waking me up all hours of the night & early in the morning I basically feel like Sh*t all the time. Is it most likely allergies even though im not feeling any better when im away from them? I really do not want to get rid of them I put a lot of money into them & im way too in love with them to just give them away. Does anyone have sever allergies to them?.... (well the dust & hay) & can still keep them & feel fine by taking something for it? I would really appreciate the help! PLEASE!!!

I've recently developed an allergy to timothy hay. I just take a benadryl and wash my arms and hands with soap and water after handling their hay.

Try using corn starch instead of dust for a few weeks and quit giving loose hay. Use cubed only.

If that clears you up you might want to invest in a HEPA filter.

I'm physically disabled, and now i have allergic reactions sever enough to make that disability look like a joke. So i can definitely understand your problem. I would suggest limiting exposure to certain things, or as some said, changing them.

I use a dust mask any time i clean the cage, feed them, sand bath. I also have a large air filter thats just for them to.

I always wear the mask when dealing with hay. More often then not, its the closing of the bag, when all that air comes out, that gets me agitated. So keep it slow and facing away from me. - You could also try that cube hay that spoof mentioned. Ive never used it before so i cant say one way or the other.

I also use the mask for dust baths. As well as cleaning out the air filter before hand. The dust gets me the most, so i don't linger around. I do it near the end of the night as to reduce exposure. I give them there dust and go in my room and close the door. Then come out later when they are done. I personally don't reuse dust, but instead of dumping in the trash can (where it can still get in the air) i dump it in a bag and tie it off, so nothing can get out. Then throw the bag in the trash. Then turn the air filter up higher, and go back to my room. With the air filter running all night while I'm asleep, its usually mostly cleared up by morning. - once again, iv never tried corn starch that spoof mentioned. So i cant say on that either.

I make sure that I clean my house really thoroughly (meaning that all the trim and every surface gets a good wipe down, windows open for air circulation, sheets and curtains washed, etc.) at least once a week. I find that really helps for me. The winter months are always the worst because I can't keep the windows open for air circulation since it's too cold outside, the warmer months are a lot easier on my sinuses. I also make sure that when I dust my chins I try to do it in a room like the bathroom which is small and easier to wipe down and get rid of the dust <--- dust is the main allergy cause for me.

I'm currently looking into getting an air filter, but with the high price and debates about whether they actually do anything, I'm not yet sold on one yet. We shall see. Anyone on here have good experience with a good quality air filter?

My husband has allergies, so I recently changed Luna's cage over from all aspen shavings to a fleece liner and just a small litter pan with aspen. It seems to have helped his breathing already. I am always looking for tips to reduce the allergy potential...Luna has quickly become an important member of our family and I would like to have us all live happily together for a long time!

I'm allergic to the hay and dust. I used to take Zyrtec (or generic equivalent) everyday. It didn't seem to help at all. I've recently given up all medications, including the zyrtec and switched my soaps to all natural ones. I figured not taking the meds would make me have terrible reactions to them, but it's been the opposite. I sneeze here and there, but I have been breathing fine. I'm not sure how long into Spring I'll last but for now I'm happy to be chemical free.

I purchased an air filter yesterday & kept it on all night & still have it running. My doc gave me antibiotics again & he gave me steroids & nasal spray for the congestion. I was on claratin but that didnt help I bought some zyrtec d yesterday as well & took that before bed last night. I slept ok. honestly though Im taking everything so I dont really know what is helping & what isnt lol I started dust bathing them last week in the tub using a face mask and do the same when im cleaning the cage. This morning I straightend their cage up without using the mask & I didnt have any reaction maybe its the medicine or hopefully there not the problem at all. the room is very dusty I have to clean the whole thing & wipe everything down on sunday because thats my only day off. Im probably going to get sent to an allergist to see whats causing it im really hoping its not the chins. thank you everyone for the tips I really appreciate it. Ill keep you posted when I find out for sure! :)

Im probably going to get sent to an allergist to see whats causing it im really hoping its not the chins. thank you everyone for the tips I really appreciate it. Ill keep you posted when I find out for sure! :)

While they can test for normal dust and weeds/tress/grass and many animals, i don't think they have one yet for chinchillas. At least i no when i got tested last year, the place i was at didn't have them. Something worth mentioning'

Back