hello & Help please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeanneAlese

Im leanne I have 3 amazingly adorable chins, Cheech (hetro beige) chong (mosaic) & Chilli (dark standard gay). Ive been doing research on here as a guest & joined a couple months ago dont really know how to use this too well. but im in need of some advice please...

im having a problem hopefully someone can help me. I bought my first chin from a pet store. then I got a second from a breeder they got along great right away & have been fine together since. My friend got a chin from the same pet store I did & she can no longer take care of him so I took him in. The new chin I just got from my friend lived with the first one I bought at the pet store. So they both got along before. I kept there cages next to eachother for a few days I know I wasnt supposed to introduce them so quick but I figured they would be fine since they lived together before. turns out that was a bad move, They were fine in the bathroom at first but then My first chin started chasing the new one a couple times and showed some aggression, the new one got scared and released a couple small amounts of fur. Turns out my first chin bit his ear :( I dont understand why hes being so mean & aggressive toward him when they lived together before. The chin I got from the breeder gets along with the new one fine. Do you think the first one will come around? maybe its because I rushed it? & does anyone think ill have any luck if I try reintroducing them in a month or two? I would really like to keep all 3 in the same cage. your replys & opinions would be much appreciated!

Trying to introduce a third chin to a bonded pair is not usually recommended because of what happened with your group. It can sometimes be accomplished, but more often than not it just ends up in a fight. Sometimes the third chin will end up getting along with one of the others, and one of the original pair will end up on the outside. I would separate out the aggressive one and have him live on his own and let the two others live peacefully together. Don't be surprised though if they end up fighting down the road somewhere as well.

Maybe after a cooling off period you can try and reintroduce them, but be prepared for them never to get along.

It is possible, but it takes patience and good timing with getting three males to get along. Females are a little more accepting because part of their instinct is to live in larger colonies. Males, however, aren't exactly the same. They are different in how they get along with other males especially in the beginning, they seem to want to dominate each other much more.

I've had cages of six or seven males at a time, BUT that is usually because I wean the babies into those cages and they are very used to other males being around. So, don't take that or what anyone else says about having several males together as being what you can expect from older males.

Like tunes said, you may have to take out the aggressive male and he may need to live on his own. It is possible that you can get them all to get along, but please be very careful. If you do a search on introduction methods, you can find out some options for getting them together. In my experience one of the worst things to do is to introduce chins when they are out in the open having playtime. It's because they are more stressed and feel more vulnerable so they tend to fight.

Oh...and another thing, as tunes hinted at a bonded pair will often gang up on a new comer. It seems to be the bonded chins against the intruder. There are a few things you can do to introduce them, but they may never get along. If these were females, it would be a little easier.

I don't have anything I can add as I only have one chin and you already received awesome advice, but I do want to welcome you to the forum! Good luck with your chins!

thank you all for welcoming me & for the info! :) I actually just tried puting them in each others cages over night and my aggressive chin was no longer trying to get him through the bars! they were kinda trying to touch noses and sniffing each other then they would both start pop corning. So im going to do this a few more times for a couple more months then decide if its ok to try and intro them again. hoping for the best! thanks again everyone!

Back