Hello, Hello!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillaChilla

Hello Everyone!

My name is Natalie and I live in Chicago, IL. I am the happy mama of one chin named Willa. She is the light of my world and brings so much joy to me and everyone that meets her. My boyfriend and I rescued her and believe that she is 5 years old. We just fell in love with her story and had to have her and spoil her rotten. She only has three working legs, and we were told by the rescue that she was very underweight and sickly when they got her (fur tangled, inverted front leg, extremely underweight, and was terrified of people). After a lot of work and patients she is thriving and is definitely the queen of the castle! She even comes when called and understands "NO."

Now that she has put on some weight, getting around just fine, and my little cuddle buddy, I have decided to get her a friend, but because of her special needs, I think that it is smartest to get a kit so that she does not feel inferior to a new chin.

I now have a kit on hold waiting for her to get big enough to bring home. I have been doing an extensive amount of research on quarantine and introduction. The problem is that I can not get a straight answer on how long the quarantine of my new kit should last. Some say a month, others say a minimum of 8 weeks, all the way to 16 full weeks before I begin the introduction process (I understand that they may never get along). Could anyone please give me some advice onto what I should do? I would also love to hear your stories.

Thanks for all your help!! =]
Natalie

They all understand "No", the question is do they listen? :p

Hi Natalie, I am so glad to hear that you took in your chin and gave her a great home. Quarantine can vary a little bit sometimes. Usually a month is good enough unless there's some illness or other problem that prevents it. Look around at old threads, I am sure you'll find tons on quarantine and introductions to help you out a little. It can be confusing, but you'll do what's best for your chins. :)

Hello and Welcome to the site, for quarantine, I would say a month is about the average, but that is if there are no other issues like AZ said :)

Hi and welcome! I'm demanding pics of your chinnie, and more pics when your kit comes home! :) I'm demanding, aren't I?!

:welcome: and 30 days is standard unless, as mentioned before, something happens and one of your chins ends up being sick or something.

Back