Hello from New Jersey!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani721

Hello everyone! My name is Danielle and I have 2 chinchillas. They're names are Chino and Squee and they are about a year old. When my boyfriend and I got them from a breeder she said that they were both male, but about a week ago I woke up to 3 baby chinchillas! They all started fighting so I had to keep rotating them out about every hour. On Monday, I had to rush the largest of the litter to the vet and he ended up passing away. While I was there I found out only the one nipple on Squee (the mom) is working, so I have to rotate them every 2 hours and supplement in between. The supplementing didn't really work out because some of the milk formula (thanks for the mixture tunes!) had gone up their nose from struggling to feed them. In fear of them getting pneumonia, I have to give them antibiotics using a needle under their skin every 12 hours, which is extremely difficult because of them squirming. I have probably gotten about 6 hours of sleep in the past week because I have to wake up every 2 hours to rotate them and I haven't been able to go to work either (and I really need money because of the vet bills). On top of all of this, I have to go to California from June 5th - 11th and there isn't anyone to rotate and supplement every 2 hours. If I put them in the same cage while my boyfriend is at work they'll kill each other, plus they need to be supplementing because they aren't gaining enough weight on their own. I live in South Jersey and I have already tried looking on Craigslist and finding a friend that has a female chinchilla that is currently nursing to help Squee, but everything has failed. These little guys mean everything to me and I'll do anything to help them. Is there anyone that could help me out during that week or give me suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Welcome. I wish I could help but I too work. Have you asked the vet about bourding them there or maybe one of the techs is willing to help out (for a fee I'm sure). while boarding can be costly, if it allows you to work, it might be worth it. and if it save their lives then it is clearly worth it.

I've had good luck using vet techs as pet sitters, even if the ones at your vet don't pet sit, they probbly know who does. failing that try contacting rescouse in NJ of the Philly area and see if they can help with them while yo're away (probably will have to move them during that time).

A last thought would be to see if you can find a dog walker who can stop in evey 2 hours during the day while your BF is at work, and then your BF can handle the injections and the "night shift".

and as an after thoguth you should be on preganacy watch since they may have had a breed back - you might be dealing with this again in a few months... start counting.

good luck.

@ partygirlha:

Thank you so much for your ideas!! They were very helpful. The injections should be done by Tuesday, so that won't be a problem. I have tried contacting friends about this situation, but unfortunately they all have day jobs too. Luckily, I came across a breeder that lives near me and is willing to help. He has 2 females that are currently nursing so he said he'll take care of them for the week.

Back