Hello From Georgia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gypsy26

My name is Heather Dean and I live in Athens Georgia. I have 2 chinchillas and 2 sugar gliders. My chinchillas are male (Chin) and female (Gypsy). Also my sugar gliders are both male and their names are Damon and Thor. They are all my children since I can't have any. I have had my first chinchilla for a week and a half and my second chinchilla for about a week. They were both given to me by people who were moving and couldn't take them with them. And since I got them they have both been taken to the vet and they both recieved a clean bill of health.

Congratulations on the new chin kids! And welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here to help you with them.

Pics! Pics! We love pics! :D

Welcome to the chin owner family. My only suggestion to you is to make sure the male and female are housed separately. Have fun with your kids and spoil em rotten =)

They are housed seperately. When would be good to let them start playing and living with each other? I mean just because I am new to this board does not mean I am new to chinchillas. I have been reading on them and asking questions to my vet and everything before I got them.

Welcome to CnH! :)

Tricky (but good!) question there....

They should go through a 30 day period of no contact with one another, wash hands in between handling them, etc etc as a quarantine period. There's quite a few reasons for this, just do a quick search on here. :)

Then, they can be housed near one another, in cages close but NOT touching. However being boy and girl, they can't play or live together, as this would almost guarantee in a few months you would have more than 2 chinchillas! They can breed in an instant, before you can stop them even if you're watching them.

Also, due to risk factors such as maloccusion, non-pedigreed/pet-quality chins should NOT be bred. You should never breed chins you don't know the background of. Sorry. :(

That being said, welcome again, enjoy your stay, there's TONS of info available on the board.

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome! Glad you could take in a couple of chins - they are wonderful to have as pets and are very addicting. If you want to house them together, just make sure you get them fixed so no accidents happen. Hopefully they will be the best of friends! Can't wait to meet them!

Back