Hello from Clearwater Florida

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargrazer

furry pet mom
Some time ago my husband had a bright idea.
He wanted to get a chinchilla. He had seen them in the wild while growing up in Eastern Oregon and thought it would be great to have one as a pet. On that day he saw one in a pet store.
I thought it was a great idea but we lived in a tiny apartment and didn't have enough room for a new chin plus our two kitties.
So while we saved to move I built a very large cage for our future pet (and also did a ton of research on them). I spent three months slowly putting together a home that I found instructions for on the internet. Here is their site:http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/5102/cageplans1.html
I made a few modifications to match my building abilities and wants and made a great cage. Thanks so much for the great instructions BTW!
Anyway, we finally moved and now have the room to have a chin. So last weekend we picked up 8 month old Remi. He was by himself at a flea market and we were told he was one of two that had to be given up as the family who owned him had to move away. He comes from a breeder locally, so we were told, and that cinched it for us. We took him home to his new huge home.
It has been a week now and we are taking it very slowly. He now will climb on us but we haven't let him out yet to play. We have given him A LOT of space to get accustomed to us. In the meantime I have built him a few more toys and a chin spin. He is extremely smart and has already figured out how to use it. It didn't even sit in his house for three hours!
Also have made friends with Chantel in WPB. Placed an order for her quality supplies and have received valuable advice.
Chinchillas Galore South Florida
MCBA Member
Wood houses, $5 fleece hammocks, PANR, blue cloud, wood toys, rosehips, pumice stones, supplement, and more!

Thank you Chin community for such a warm and friendly start!

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/images/smilies/REDanceSM002.gif

Attachments

• remi 5x7.jpg
    remi 5x7.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 12
  • finished cage.jpg
    finished cage.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 20
Welcome aboard. Except I don't think they live wild in Oregon. :)

Enjoy your stay here. There's a lot to learn and many good people to share with. Chinchillas are awesome pets. Be sure to read all the good information here on chinchilla care.

Hello eroomlorac,
I am not sure if they do either as I have only been to that area once (native to Portland) and have never read anything to substantiate it. It would be an ideal climate though as it gets pretty cold there and if I understand my reading correctly they are orginaly a cold weather mountain creature.

Back