Heat Lamps+ more

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.There is no difference between a boy hedgie and a girl hedgie's personality, right?
While I've experienced big differences in personality between hedgehogs, it has nothing to do with gender. One behavioral difference: boys can be more... um... "showy" with their sexuality than girls.

2. I wake up about 6:45 in the morning. Its usually about 65 degrees downstairs, if I bring my hedgehog down, put it on my lap, with a blanket on top, will the hedgehog be safe and warm?
As long as hedgie is with you, that should be a-okay. I wouldn't let hedgie run around on the floor or anything... figure 65 degree room is going to be even more chilly in the lower parts... that whole heat rises phenomenon.

3. Is it okay to give tap water to my hedgie, will the chemicals (that's left) make the hedgie not drink any of it?
At our house, hedgies and humans drink the same water: that which is poured out of a Pur water filter pitcher.

Okay... hmm...

1. I have 2-well annoying-brothers and 1 sister. At what time would you suggest 'introducing' them? I know after he/her is settled. By after how many days/weeks?

2. I heard you can feed your hedgie baby food? Is that safe?

3. If I am holding my hedgehog, is it possible... that the hedgie will go to the bathroom on me.. Like other small pets.... Or because they are neater than most small animals... will it be less likely to happen?

4. If I put towels on the floor in the bathroom or fleece, will the hedgehog then be safe?

1. I have 2-well annoying-brothers and 1 sister. At what time would you suggest 'introducing' them? I know after he/her is settled. By after how many days/weeks?
How old are your brothers and sister?

2. I heard you can feed your hedgie baby food? Is that safe?
Yes! Favorites often include butternut squash, sweet potato, peas, turkey, chicken, carrots, and the meat/veggie blends.

3. If I am holding my hedgehog, is it possible... that the hedgie will go to the bathroom on me.. Like other small pets.... Or because they are neater than most small animals... will it be less likely to happen?
Depends on the hedgehog. Here's 4 as examples:
Satin - yes and no... she liked to run from hand to hand and go potty while being held. We tried putting her in her litter box to go potty when we saw her tail go up (tail popping out in a "turkey's done!" fashion is a sign of impending poop/pee), then she wouldn't go. We'd pick her back up, tail came out. We settled it by holding her over her litter box with our fingers spread wide apart to let the poop and pee fall into the litter box. After awhile, we referred to this activity as "pooping the hog" as in: "Can you poop the hog while I clean her cage?" -- which just meant sitting with her and the litter box, letting her run from hand to hand and holding her over the litter box when she paused to go. From there, she was "safe" for about an hour or so.

Tex - would *never* go in public. Only under the cover of darkness in his home. He loved to be held and we held him for hours with no risk of messies. He only pooped on me twice - when he was ill.

Bella - she's a hedgiebag pooper. When holding her, she generally won't go on us. But if she has a hedgiebag to run into when out, she'll go in there and the pee will definitely leak through. We've stopped using hedgiebags with her for that reason. Now, when she has to go, she starts getting a bit frantic and bitey. So we get her either back to her home or into a litter box right quick. Ignore the signs and you'll get messy!

Marlee - she's a baby. Mostly, she just likes burrowing up my sleeve and falling asleep there. She has made messies on my (not up sleeve) with reckless abandon... but she's a baby. So she's still adapting.

4. If I put towels on the floor in the bathroom or fleece, will the hedgehog then be safe?
Like to let hedgie run around? Naw... I wouldn't. Bathroom floors tend to be yucky and cold. For exercise, get a good wheel and put it in hedgie's cage. Fleece is better than towels... towels have loops of fabric in which hedgie can snag a nail and either get stuck there or rip out a nail :( :( I think, after hedgie comes home, you'll have a better sense if hedgie is a snuggler or an explorer... and then can make some decisions about the best way to safely let hedgie explore.

Oh, okay.. makes sense.

1. My brothers are 8 and 13, but they will team up and see him/her when I'm not there, sneak in my room and do stuff if I don't introduce them, by the way it happened before.

2. So what brand of baby food?

3. Will going back and forth between parents house stress my hedgehog?

1. My brothers are 8 and 13, but they will team up and see him/her when I'm not there, sneak in my room and do stuff if I don't introduce them, by the way it happened before.
At those ages, I would work very hard to educate them on the things you are learning – especially about the importance of keeping the right temperature (so they know letting hedgie roam around the room on his/her own is NOT okay) and what foods you can and cannot give to hedgie. Maybe make a list of okay foods vs deadly foods in large font (am actually picturing something in magic marker where the color matches the food) that is right near the cage – especially thinking of the 8yo on that one.

You could also stress the fact that hedgies are nocturnal – that they sleep during the day, so it’s best to be quiet around them and leave them alone. We have kids in our house… currently, the youngest is 11, but he was either 6 or 7 when he first met our first hedgie… and he was able to understand to leave hedgie alone during the day. You might do well to let them know they can meet hedgie in the evening (as hedgie is waking up and the humans are getting ready for bed). During the day, you can say things like, “I really wish I could hold hedgie right now, but I know that’s just going to upset him/her. I’m really looking forward to this evening,” when he’s in earshot. I’d have your brothers sit on the floor (in case they drop hedgie) and hold him/her in a fleece blankie in their laps. The older one might, of course, do better than the younger. But having him on the floor with hedgie (and you too) modeling the right way to hold hedgie will help. Essentially, don’t do anything with hedgie that you wouldn’t want to see your brothers copying. Invite them in and show them the *whole* sequence of events… not just the part where you hand off hedgie to them. For example, how you talk/sing to hedgie to give a warning that it’s almost play-time… how you take care of the food & water dishes and generally rustle around the cage a bit as a bit of a snooze alarm… how you make sure there’s nothing dangerous in the room that hedgie could get into if s/he got out of your arms during playtime… You know – all that stuff. All the while – explaining what you’re doing and why.

If, however, they’re just not responsive to that kind of thing, I’d say get a wire-top, plastic bottom cage and put some locks on the cage doors so they can’t get at her. You can talk to your parents about getting a lock on your bedroom door to avoid them doing something like poking her with a stick or feeding her grapes.

2. So what brand of baby food?
I tend to go with Beechnut. Gerber is good too. Sometimes, I’ll get the organic brand from Whole Foods, but it tends to be the Beechnut. The way I decided is to read the label. The ones that just say something like “turkey” or “turkey and water” are winners and I get them. The ones that say things like “turkey, garlic, someweirdthing” are losers and I don’t get them.

3. Will going back and forth between parents house stress my hedgehog?
If you have roughly the same cage set-up in each home and a good carrier for the car, hedgie should be okay. You’ll want to pay attention to heat/coolness and drafts in addition to basic safety (eg, having a hard-sided carrier outfitted with fleece). You can get a thermometer like this one: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...imers/-/zilla-digital-thermometer-with-probe/ to help monitor the temps inside the carrier.

I really appreciate you answers smhufflepuff! And here they come....

1. Honestly, I don't trust them. They will think it's funny to get me mad and tell me to 'chill your bill', I rather be safe than sorry.

2. Do you have to keep your room between a certain tempertures? Even if you have a CHE.... because I usually keep my room very, very, very cold at night, but I'll keep it warm if I have to.

3.Will it be okay when my friends come over and play with the hedgie? They know mostly everything because apparently I'm 'obsessed' with them. Anyway, They will know to be carful-such and such. But will the hedgie be fine meeting them? Will they get stressed or something because a lot of my friends are excited to see him/her when I get one. (By the way it would mostly be at night.)

4. What do you use when you give your hedgehog a foot bath? I don't want to use my sink because it's too round, but then what would I use?

Last edited:
I wanted to weigh in on the bathroom question with my routine. Quinn was a little poop machine when he was a baby but as he got older he got really good about not pooping on me but he would go to the bathroom on the floor if he was running around. When he got even older he started having less control and have more accidents. We then had a problem with his feet so daily foot baths became a must. If he was in the bath for 5 mins he would always go to the bathroom. So that became our routine. Foot bath until he went potty and then snuggles and then play. Works well.

Thanks for the information Raindog! You just game me a question idea!

1. How often do you give a hedgehog a foot bath? I heard everyday.. is that true?

Honestly, I don't trust them. They will think it's funny to get me mad and tell me to 'chill your bill', I rather be safe than sorry.
Ugh. I’d take a look at investing in a cage that you can lock and some locks. If they’re the type to try and go around that and do bad things like toss grapes, raisins, and nuts into hedgie’s cage, then look to get a lock on the door. One that both you and your parents can access, but your brothers cannot.

Do you have to keep your room between a certain tempertures? Even if you have a CHE.... because I usually keep my room very, very, very cold at night, but I'll keep it warm if I have to.
Yes and no. If you have supplemental heat like that from a CHE, you can let your room get down into the 60’s. However, you’ll need both the CHE/lamp/thermostat set-up and fleece to wrap around the sides of the cage to help hold the heat in.

Will it be okay when my friends come over and play with the hedgie? They know mostly everything because apparently I'm 'obsessed' with them. Anyway, They will know to be carful-such and such. But will the hedgie be fine meeting them? Will they get stressed or something because a lot of my friends are excited to see him/her when I get one. (By the way it would mostly be at night.)
I’d suggest allowing hedgie to settle in and limiting the number of people at any one time. Depending on hedgie’s personality, you’ll know how they can interact. Snugglers will want to be held for a long time, runner/adventurers will want to adventure, anxious hedgies will want to be left alone for the most part, etc…

What do you use when you give your hedgehog a foot bath? I don't want to use my sink because it's too round, but then what would I use?
Agreed, sink isn’t the best. I started off that way, but then no one else can use the sink at that time. And I don’t really like the idea of hedgie having to stand around in a basin into which everyone spits when brushing teeth. I use either a dishpan or one of those plastic high-sided corner litter bins that are made for ferrets.
How often do you give a hedgehog a foot bath? I heard everyday.. is that true?
Depends on the hedgie. Satin had major poopboots, so for her it was definitely every day. Texie was probably more days than not. Bella has spoiled me rotten with her habits, so it’s maybe once a week or once every other week for her. Marlee is either every day or every other day. I think she’s getting messier – she used to pee in front of the wheel; now she’s taken to peeing on the wheel which turns everything into a slurry. Like many hedgies, Marlee enjoys upholstering her wheel in poop.

What kind of litter bins?

1. Can hedgehogs eat eggs?

2. Does that mean I should raise the coroplast to the highest amount?

3. Do you have to brush a hedgehogs fur?

What kind of litter bins?
Essentially, these http://www.petco.com/product/105865/Super-Pet-Ferret-Litter-Training-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch, but without the scoop and trial litter stuff. You may find a different brand that doesn't have the useless add-ons.

Can hedgehogs eat eggs?
Cooked; yes. Many like hard boiled or scrambled. Make sure it's cool before feeding to hedgie though!

Does that mean I should raise the coroplast to the highest amount?
You could that to help hold in heat.

Do you have to brush a hedgehogs fur?
No. Their belly fur is quite short. The only thing you'll likely have to do is clean it off from time to time (like in the context of a footbath) if they've made a poopy mess of themselves or sat in a dish of baby food... or if it is a boy who has done adolescent male things.

But aren't those too small?

1. If I get a C&C cage by 3x2, would I need 2 or one CHE?

2. Are hedgies able to sit on your shoulder or is it too dangerous of a fall?

3. Okay, if I am wearing a sweatshirt with the long pockets in the front and put my hedgehog in the pocket, Will the hedgie be okay in there and if I go downstairs? (usually 60*f) How long can my hedgehog be off before he or she gets too cold?

But aren't those too small?
The litter bins? No, they have a 13.75" width.

If I get a C&C cage by 3x2, would I need 2 or one CHE?
Hmmm... that would be right in the middle. What I'd do is buy two and test it out. Get your cage and all the accessories together. Put one CHE & lamp up there (plugged into the thermostat controller, of course). If it turns out you only need that one to keep things warm enough, then you have your back-ups ready to go when one dies. If it's not keeping things warm enough, pop the 2nd CHE & lamp up there. Then go to the store and get a third set as back-up ;)

Are hedgies able to sit on your shoulder or is it too dangerous of a fall?
Many will climb up there. If you're sitting against a couch, so they cannot fall, that'll work. But you don't want to be walking around with them like that. They'll fall.

Okay, if I am wearing a sweatshirt with the long pockets in the front and put my hedgehog in the pocket, Will the hedgie be okay in there and if I go downstairs? (usually 60*f) How long can my hedgehog be off before he or she gets too cold?
Hedgie should be okay with in your pocket... I wouldn't run around the house or anything... and you'll need your hands in/near the pocket in case hedgie decides to walk out.

So if my hands are in the pocket... It's good for awhile or till I take he/her out?

1. What surface do you put your cage on? High up right on a high dresser or low on a tinie tiny bookshelf/night stand?

2. Does it matter what type of fleece you get? Are they all the same brand?

3. Will my alarm in the morning bother the hedgie resulting in a huffy puffy hedgehog not willing to be held?

So if my hands are in the pocket... It's good for awhile or till I take he/her out?
If you're sitting down, you don't need your hands anywhere in particular unless hedgie gets in mind to run. But if you're wandering about the house, keep your hands in a place that can support hedgie so s/he's not bouncing about as you step nor likely to crawl out and take a flying leap to the floor.

What surface do you put your cage on? High up right on a high dresser or low on a tinie tiny bookshelf/night stand?
I keep their cages on a table... like kitchen table height. That way it's good for me (not having to stoop over nor get on my tippie toes to take care of them & their environment) and there's a little more regularity with the heat. I don't really like the floor as an idea - gets chilly down there. Except that I have put their cages on the floor during really hot summer days. Either way, I like to have it on a solid surface so I can stick a fleece blanket between the table top and cage bottom so there isn't a layer of air flowing around down there and making the floor chilly.

Does it matter what type of fleece you get? Are they all the same brand?
Like regular fleece vs polar fleece? No big difference that I've seen. I know some brands will pill more than others... I just kind of look at it... if it looks thin/cheap or you see little pieces of it balling up on the surface (ie, pilling), then leave that behind and look for another.
Something to consider is the color. You can definitely have brightly colored accessories, but it's good to have a light-colored liner. By having a light-colored liner, you can more quickly detect health issues like urine that's tinged red with blood.

Will my alarm in the morning bother the hedgie resulting in a huffy puffy hedgehog not willing to be held?
Hedgie will adapt. Unless it's one of those truly nasty loud sounding alarms that you snooze every 5 minutes for a significant amount of time, I'd expect the alarm will go off, you'll hear some huffing and rustling about, then hedgie will settle back down.

About the alarm.... What I usually do it goes off once for 5 seconds (its the radio) then it never goes back on again.

1. What happens if your hedgie gets too hot? Like when he/she gets too cold they go in hibernation.

2. Are hedgehogs smart? My (this may sound confusing) grandmothers brothers step wife used to have a hedgie like 10 years ago when they were not to domesticated and when you put it on the steps it had the sense to not go down or up the stairs.... do all hedgehogs do that? Like not falling off of tables and beds....

3. What kind of noises do they make?

What happens if your hedgie gets too hot? Like when he/she gets too cold they go in hibernation.
aestivation

Are hedgehogs smart? My (this may sound confusing) grandmothers brothers step wife used to have a hedgie like 10 years ago when they were not to domesticated and when you put it on the steps it had the sense to not go down or up the stairs.... do all hedgehogs do that? Like not falling off of tables and beds....
Some are smarter than others. Some are intelligent but scared, so they can't use their intelligence to protect themselves.

Take Bella, for example... she's rather anxious and frightens easily. Her immediate thought in many situations appears to be "run!" And she'll do precisely that without regard to the danger she's running into/the arms she's leaping out of/the chair she's about to tumble from. I've made a number of mid-air catches and she has emerged unscathed. But it's not the sort of thing that's good to have happen.

What kind of noises do they make?
Mostly huffing and puffing when they've been disturbed. Else, soft little chirps (not like a bird... much softer). Growling if you've really, really p'd them off (eg, adjusting their wheel in the middle of the night) - avoid prompting them to growl... it's not cool. One of my favorite sounds is the patter of hedgie feet on a wheel.

So what do they do when there are hot... Like I mean do they go in their water bowl or something?

1. I heard when you first handle a hedgehog your hands get red? What does this mean?

2. What kind of veggies and fruits do you feed your hedgehog, like that YOU actually give them and what ones do you cut and don't....

3. Will all big pets (dogs in particular) go after hedgehogs?

So what do they do when there are hot... Like I mean do they go in their water bowl or something?
No; they splat out... they get out of their snugglebags and flop on the floor... splayed out like a starfish.

I heard when you first handle a hedgehog your hands get red? What does this mean?
Your hands are coping with being pricked about a zillion times. Usually, after you set hedgie back down and wash your hands/arms, it goes away after not too long.

What kind of veggies and fruits do you feed your hedgehog, like that YOU actually give them and what ones do you cut and don't....
Me? I cut up strawberries, apples, and bananas. I also use the baby food version of carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, peas, and green beans.

Will all big pets (dogs in particular) go after hedgehogs?
I would do everything in my power not to let any other animal have access to a hedgehog. I have seen videos of hedgies interacting with other animals, but I'm not a fan. Hedgehogs are prey animals. I don't want them to be in a situation with anything that is (or could be) a predator... even an "accidental" predator.

Back to the treat topic.... So is it okay to give them lettuce? Because that is the most common veggie/fruit in the house... or could they choke on the soft parts?

Back