Heart Mumur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
So, upon taking Tribble to the vet to have her teeth checked, I learned she has a heart mumur. We're going in on Tuesday to have an echo-cardiogram done. If anyone has any information or advice on chinchilla heart murmurs and issues, please tell me.

Edit: I've ordered some of the Herbal Heart Remedy from Fuzzies Kingdom

Last edited:
What class was diagnosed? Over a class 5 is serious, below that not so much. Echocardiogram will tell the vet the chin has a heart but not much beyond that since the resolution on something that small I:E heart valves is not there, that was what was told to me by my vet cardiologist who dealt with my severe heart murmur chin. Severe murmur chins need to be watched for congestive heart failure symptoms, can have sudden death from heart attack, need to be on a low protein, low fat diet with no treats, need to be watched for overexertion during play-they can pass out so play is to be somewhat limited, usually they will not play alot anyway since they become tired easily. They can be treated with BP meds if congestive heart failure happens, lasix and lisinopril daily can keep them alive and somewhat normal for years.

Honestly I didn't know to ask about what type since I didn't know til I got home to research it. I found a medical article where echocardiograms were done on chinchillas in heart murmur research and they were able to figure out types of abnormalities, not just if valves were there or not. Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I'd call the office for clarification, if they don't deal with chins much they might not have told you so they can research it first. =P

One of my first chins, from a pet store, died of a heart condition before her first bday. The heart attack was terrible and the first sign I had of her condition. She died in my arms on the way to the vet. But at least you have found early signs!

I hope it ends up being mild, gl. =(

PS if he does have to have activity restriction dont forget a smaller cage to, my girl overexerted her self in her cage not at play time. =(

What Gino had done at the cardio vet was a high frequency high frame rate ultrasound which had some other features that I forgot , the small features of the heart and rapid heart beat require special equiptment.

It would figure that if I was stupid enough to spend 1200.00 on a MRI I would be stupid enough to spend more money on a "special" test to check his heart also, when a echo would have been fine, 2003 no info was avaliable on the net like there is now.

Some murmurs never bother them. But as states, there are varying degrees. Research what treatments are available if that's a route you'd consider.

So, Tribble has a small opening in her mitral valve, causing mitral valve regurgitation. It's something I'll simply need to keep an eye out for to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Back