Healthy chinchilla foods?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockergurlanimalluvr

Im currently feeding my chinchilla carefresh complete and he seems to be pretty healthy and has healthy poo but if theres better food out there I would like to get it for him. Im near a neighborhood feed* they have the organic dog food we buy but I dont remember seeing any organic chinchilla type foods. If anyone knows any good types of food and where I can get them please let me know because I love my boy terrace and in the next year I intend to rescue another chinchilla so he has a buddy :3

If I recall, the Carefresh has various "extras" added to the feed. The first thing you want to look for when finding a good quality chin pellet is strictly pellets with no extras added. I.e. treats, raisins, colorful shapes, etc.

Good brands include Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe (In some pet stores, and Sandi a member on here sells it), Mazuri (Pet stores, Purina dealers may be able to get it), Tradition (Hubbard dealers), and some rabbit pellets such as Manna Pro Sho and Nutrena Naturewise 16%.

I wouldn't feed your chin the carefresh because there are many different pieces of sunflower, and other things in there that shouldn't be.
I would use the Mazuri Pellets, you can get those at petsores specifically PetSmart always has it, or you could go with the Purina Show Chow for Rabbits. A lot of people on here sell it by the lb. because it usually only comes in a huge 50 lb. bag.
I get mine from people on here :)

I also use mazuri but if you buy it at petsmart it is aweful expensive and too small for someone with multiple chins. I go to a local feed store and buy the large bags there. Go to the mazuri website you might find dealers in your area.

If there are any local chin breeders near you, see if they sell any pellets. Many chin breeders do carry good quality pellets that you wouldn't be able to buy from stores. I get my pellets shipped from a local breeder and they are apparently milled in another part of the province. The prices are usually much better than store bought brand name foods too.

Back