Health Story,Issue,Question, and Lesson?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wischin

Hello,

I have not posted for some time and have never really posted chinchilla issues I have had very much here as my vet has been great for the past 7 years with them. I was referred to him through an animal hospital at a time when I brought a girl in ( who is still here!) for a spay and removal of partial developed babies that had stopped developing but just stayed in.

Anyways, I am a hobby breeder, and I also take in select rescues ( I say it like that because I have a certain room for each and have a rule about how many I will take at one time).

Three years ago, I bought two female chinchillas. They were sisters. They got along great, never had problems. My husband and I went out to eat one morning, came back less than an hour later, and one of the sisters, was hovering in the corner, her ears torn off and chewed, her skull exposed in a small spot with the surronding area cracked and the skin chewed off, and also suffrered a very severe puncture wound right above her cone where she urinates. Besides this, the backs of her ears were torn through, on the neck. Her sister, had not a bite mark on her, no hair pulled out. She attacked her sister and the one that got attacked ( Anna was her name) did not fight back at all. They were 7 months of age when this happened.

Of course she was rushed off to a vet. At the time, I worked at a private run pet store and the owner is also a vet. I called him right away since this was a Sunday morning, told him I was coming in, and he brought in a lot of medications. I will make this much shorter by saying after having her in a medical tank for ONLY 2 months, she grew everything back... even the hair where her skin had been initially ripped off and her skull crushed. The end of her healing was the head injury.

Of course, I had payed a lot of money for her in particular... she was a ebony mosaic she had all three colors, a great pattern, and after she was done healing, of course her fur NEVER came in like it was before, but it grew back, always shorter, but softer, and the color changed. She grew a tuft of white like a star on her black and grey head.

Her ears were mangled. Because of all the tissue damage, the scarring was bad. Her left ear was the worst. Both ears had been eaten and chewed ( I say eaten because at the time we came home, they were in an enclosed tank, there was not ONE SINGLE bloody shaving, no skin, no fur, but her sister had red clots drying on her teeth and around her fur on her mouth was Anna's blood)

She was on injectible Baytril for over 30 days, along with Buprenorpine and methadone in small doses in the beginning for pain. Despite what people think, chinchillas metabolize these two specific synthetic opiate pain medications differently than we do, and it works wonderful on them with minimal to no side effects, at least in my experience. Of course I also went through how many bottles of critical care, lifeline, neosporin, and washing my hands in a dip of Betadyne each time contact was made. This allowed her to heal to her maximum extent.

Her sister who attacked her, I had brought back to the breeder, along with pictures, not because of wanting a refund or thinking it was her fault, but to let her know because we were close. It was only THEN revealed to me that the sisters mother, had done the same exact thing to her closest cousin, around the same age. However, put with only males she was ok. I was not comfortable with this for my own breeding practices, because any personality traits like that I strive to cull out of any animal I would help to create. I told her so, and made it clear she would never be bred OR have a cagemate again because of the chances of another chinchilla dying.

The breeder got a little angry, because we were in heavy disagreement about this chinchilla. In the end, I gave her back, my idea, because if I am totally honest I want to care for my animals the best I can and to me this particular chinchilla posed a threat to the health of others.

It turns out the lady bred her.. after a year of miscarriages, she had a big baby that she killed a week later. I believe it to be in the genes.

After Anna healed, she became not agressive like I expected, but more gentle and passive than before. I have many personalities like that here because I specifically breed for that, and even after this traumatic event, she was able to live out her life VERY VERY bonded to a male and had a beautiful huge baby.

However, Because of her ear injury and the scar tissue, in the left ear you could not see the canal. You could not pry it open, nothing, So you could not even see the entrance to the beginning of the middle canal. However, her ears were always dry after she regrew hair and skin, and there was not a problem, or so I thought.

A week and a half ago, I picked her up like I do all the time every morning, she is the first to come out and talk and play and get scritches on her neck she loved it after her hair grew back, I noticed her cry out in suprise tone, and she tilted her head to the left. I then felt body temperature liquid on my hand. At about the same time, I smelled what smells EXACTLY like a bottle of Thai Fish Sauce. For those who are not familiar with that smell, it was the smell of literal rotting or dead fish or animal. Decay.

I immediatly got gauze out, and tilted her head and put light pressure on her ear, and what came out was a mixture of this light red and yellow liquid and specs of what I believe to be pus, solid, in them. I called the vet, and was waiting at the door by 7: 30. They wanted me to leave, but I was also , maybe not for the best, VERY ATTACHED to anna, after caring for her so close , it was like she knew. She kissed me with her nose... she was not your usual chin after all of it... she peed on my husband and would bite him but when I came she would come up to the door and walk out, and act like a different animal... I loved her, so when they told me to go home and they would call, I opted to sit in the waiting room and read the Cat Fancy Magazines they had.

About two hours later, the doctor came out. He looked serious. Usually he smiles. He took me in the room he had been examing her in, and it smelled like the stuff in her ear, the entire room. He took a metal took out, and explained to me that because of the scar tissue that had to form at the base of her ear because it was ripped off, it puffed up to the point that this tool was the ONLY way he could get a look at her ear, and there were three problems. One of them obviously was the infection. The problem was, is that since no air can get to the canal, middle or inner part, it is always moist. This also stopped anyone from knowing about the infection in the first place because it was so closed and the skin was so thick. ( Amputation of her ears was talked about when she had been attacked, but it was not recommended)

But the real problem was when he opened her ears with the tool, he showed me, and after I got my bearings on from the most pungent smell ever when he opened her ears, I seen that where the outer ear is SUPPOSED to bridge onto the beginning of the canal, it looked like a huge valley had been carved out of it. It was FULL of rotting skin.

He said she probably had that "valley" in her ears since the attack and that there really was not much to do he couldnt believed she lived in the first place.

It was very very hard for me because I had tried so hard, and she was a very hardy girl, she LOVED babies, life, and she knew I think that she had been given more time than she was going to originally get.

Listlessly, he began telling me about antibiotics and other things but at the same time explained to me that the infection was probably too far into her ear and the attack she had suffered, I had given her an extra two years of life after, life that she enjoyed, but he told me about other things they would have to do.

In the end, it would have been an issue of me doing it to selfishley keep her and she WOULD be in pain most of the time this time, or to let her go and accept that she had two years she wouldnt otherwise have had. So she was quietly put to rest 5 days ago.

The day after she was put down, her cagemate, Stuart, I picked him up, and smelled the dreaded smell. It was MUCH MUCH milder, not as pungent, but it was there. I looked in his ears, and here was the beginning of oozing. My heart was just racing, litteraly. I didnt even call the vet I just took him in.

Whatever bacteria is causing this ear thing, when it drains during the night and I am not there to wipe it off, it can take only 4 hours and it almost "burns" sores into their outer ear flesh that it dries on. It is super salty, and I want to know wht the heck kind of bacteria could make this rotting fish smell and maybe have a high salt content or turns into a salt like substance when it dries? Because when It dries on the outside of the fur by his ears and on the skin, it turns white, just like salt, dries like it, and it is litteraly like putting salt on a wound, it is making the top skin layer irritated and bloody a little.

Of course, as said, he was rushed off to the vet. Now the vet knows the situation, and I also kept Anna frozen, because in the back of my head, EVEN THOUGH HE TOLD ME MOST LIKLEY IT WAS NOT CONTAGIOUS, I thought to myself I am not going to let my herd get killed off by this. ( the rest of the cghinchillas are no where near where him and anna resided in their cage)

But he also told me the severity level of this is not as severe, because I caught it "early" this time, his ears otherwise arew completely healthy, unharmed, he has no fever, othger injuries.

So he sent me home with an orally taken Baytril suspension. I am supposed to give .3ml every 12 hours, and he also gave a bottle of this liquid called "Bacterial Gemish". It has a dropper in it, and it smells BAD. the directions are put 2 drops twice a day in his ears. They said the tech there gave the first treatment, and the gemish is to go as close to the canal as it can, and his ears were still full of drainage, hadnt been wiped, and there was STILL the SAME neosporin that 2was ready to fall out if you touched it, in his ears, so they didnt put the drops in his ears. I flushed them out first, and then gave him the drops in the ear. They seemed to irritate the wounds that were there from the initial sores, so I put some vitamin E and non pain reliever neosporin on those areas.

I am supposed to call today for a culture, and something called a cytology possibly. So, does anyone know what these are, and if anyone knows anything I could be giving him besides this please let me know. I hope this will help people realize that even your doctor, that you see for years, can be wrong about even whether something is contagious or not, so always make sure if you have chins to have medical cages and seperate containment for them.....

Sorry this was so long but I felt the situation warrants an explanation of HOW he got this because I am afraid it is some superbacteria from her long term infection, and it got in there cos chinnies cuddle when they sleep, and I am sure that drainage that came out of her ears definetly came in contact with him... they shared a cage.

Anyways, thanks for reading this.

Excellent Thread! This is prime of the problems that can occur in breeding. Chances may be slim, but it can still happen.
Just for reference purposes, do you happen to have pics of Anna? Its incredible that she was able to survive that. I had a male do that to his "girlfriend". They were together for a year or so, had a seamlessly successful litter, etc. I went to check on the herd one morning and she was literally beaten. Her ears were all torn and chewed, and fur was either missing, or clotted with blood. I took her to the vet and we had to put her down after an hour of trying to get her vitals stable. I did the necropsy with the vet(I used to work there) and we discovered numerous puncture wounds on her abdomen, face, as well as a puncture through her spine. This explained why she was so immobile, my vet said, as she was most likely paralyzed. She had a very deep laceration on her face that sliced her nose horizontally. It was the most viscous attack I have ever witnessed.

The culture and cytology will be used to determine what the microorganism is that is causing the infection. They can also find out what type of antibiotics will be effective. Definitely get those done, as it will help point out what you should be doing from here on out to get your little guy recovered.

(And please keep us posted, I'm very curious what they find!)

Results of initial treatment

Well, as suspected the vet did send him home with Baytril. I am not sure if this was posted at the time or not. However, I have gioven it two days and there is already a 100% difference in his ears. The first day the draining stopped after his second dose of that along with a flush of gemish, but I also applied neosporin as a coating to the outer ear as the gemish seemed to irritate him a lot on the sores, so I make sure it does not get in there. Right now he is getting .3ml every 12 hours and then the gemish twice a day and as needed if there is a lot of drainage, but as of yesterday, overnight, and this morning, all drainage has halted, the redness is gone in his ears ( very very easy to see, he is a homo beige so you can really see the blood veins in the ear and discomfort or fever, etc.

However, he is experiencing a side effect that is new to me. By the third dose he has APPEARED to stop eating, pellets and hay. Even during the infection he ate like normal. I called the vet yesterday morning about the culture they took, they tiold me something did grow, but it was small and they wanted to sit it for another day and if it continued it would be sent out, because if this for some reason wont totally treat what he has it will make it worse, although it looks and sounds very promising.

I was told by the tech that usually this will cause not constipation, because at first his poo got very very small and dry, and I am thinking constipation, but I have observed hiim now day and night and he is tired obviously, but he is not interested in food. I know that chins nreed to eat they cant go like this because they are constant foragers, so I mixed up the critical care and he got a nice feeding of it this morning, and I dont know if it maybe gave him an appetiite, but he was offered a piece of papaya ( rare treat) and he gobbled that right up. I gave him a shred of pineapple too ( all dried and made by me at home to make sure there is nothing added, they LOVE it and dehydrators are cheap.... ) and he liked that. So I am wondering if the classical saying of once they get hungry enough they will eat applies here or if I need to continue to force critical care on him. He will eat it but I am not comfortable doing this unless it is necessary. When I call the vet this morning again regarding the culture, I am going to go there and pick up a tapered feeding syringe to make it easier for me to give this to him with maximum protection against aspiration, etc.

Anyways, I just have been posting this because for every person that posts for something like I have, MANY MORE have this problem or have experienced it and maybe I have been able to help in any way.

One thing I do not do on this forum, because I was warned about it, is I will not respond to any implying accusations or off of the subject questions or people on the internet questioning anything, because this is the internet, so I am saying this because if someone has posted something similar in their replies asking me how I could put a chinchilla down ( despite how sick she is ) or what they would have done and how much better, all I have to say, if that is even posted as a reply, is that you dont know until it happens to you how the situation will be handled, and since everything is different, no situation is the same, I do not have the time to banter back and forth off subject about things, I just wanted people to hear my experience, how this turned out, and maybe it will help someone when they experience this.

I seen that potentially left untreated, or in cases I have SEEN at ranches, unnoticed signs and symptoms, can turn from "nothing" to rampant and epidemic just from something like one of the breeders cuddling with her mate, and her drainage getting on his fur, by his ears, and these bacteria getting into his system. That is exactly what happened here, and it is really important to realize that chinchillas are hardy animals, very hardy i have found especially through the rescues I take ( you wouldnt believe what some have been through or how I have gottan them, the state they were in...)
BUT once they have a virus or cold or infection that STARTS to take hold, it is a VERY short time until it gets fatal and very serious, and unfortunatley most people only see it at this point, when things are too late in many cases.

It makes me feel horrible when I think about her because I take them out daily and check EVERYTHING on them, make sure their stool is consistent, no buildup in their urine like calcium deposits or anything, I remove and check for hair rings 2 times a week, and with one boy for some reason every other day he has a hair ring, a non breeder of mine. And ALL of them, I closeley and meticiously inspect their ears, have b een for years, and it makes me sick that the one who you couldnt open her ear to even see a little bit, she probably harbord this bacteria and infection for a long time, because the doctor told me that the degree of her ear, the trauma she had when she was young, and the advancement of the infection indicated it MAY have been there as a small sacratch that could never heal when she got attacked in the beginning, and slowley as her ear never got oxygen and could not be opened, it became a hotbed for multiplying bacteria and a very icky strain.

He also said yesterday on the phone that his very fast improvement shows that this bacteria is probably not some superinfection at all, but it has to do with his anatomy as well because his ears are completely formed and not injured and allow the passage of air and also the cleaning of them as they drain.....

I guess if I had to do this over, maybe at the time of his late cagemates injury, I could have looked for another exotic to do a complete amputation of her ear, but the way she was injured according to a doctor who specialized in chinchillas and also sugar giders at the animal ER told me that an amputation was definetley not what to do with her ears....

Taking in rescues or chinchillas has dissapointed me in the way of knowing people. I see people who seem soooo genuine when they buy a chinchilla ( UI have a no questions asked return policy if it comes down to someone who had a chin and is sick of it, wants to give it up, cant have it, etc, but I have been SHOCKED by the amount of ADULTS who want ONE chinchilla, love them, and they buy the tradition, the oxbow hay, blue cloud bath, baked apple sticks, they are all about it... then maybe two years go by, and I will get an email from this person, giving either an excuse why they cannot keep a chinchilla in the same exact home they got in in anymore, or whatever the excuse is, it comes down to I THINK tyhey might not believe me when I tell them how long chinchillas live when treated proper, or they get sick of taking care of them. Right now y oldest chinchilla, Sugar, is turning 14 next month. She has not changed how she has looked or moved since about 10 or 9. At that age she changed in personality slightly, but as thety become older, to people who COMMIT, REALLY COMMIT to taking care of them for longer than the crush goes on, they DO GET SMARTER. She is one of the only chinchillas who KNOWS what her harness is, I made it. She allows herself without ANY protest to be strapped in, and she actually walks around the house on a line like this and has learned the word NO. I have video taped this because I dont know if people think these are just some stupid off shoot of rabbits, but these are very special creatures that deserve the best they can get from the people that love them.

It breaks my heart to see clients who were so enthusiastic when they bought the baby two years later bring the baby back, because they either bred it and now want another color, they are not interested, it makes me second think my hobby breeding because sometimes when I sell a kit I actually wondering how long it will be until I see it come back now, and I sell to people that I screen. Many MANY more of course keep and love the animal but at the other side I am happy to take them back because I know that when a person does not want to take care of you or are not interested or motivated in your health or cleanliness, then the animal suffers and I can make it better the best I know how.

If I find out this medication dioes not work, he wants to try some sulfa based antibiotic. I would really rather keep the baytril and my fingers are crossed that it will work and although one short, my babies will be better soon.
:thumbsup:

The reason he isn't eating is because of the Baytril, not the infection. One of the main side effects of Baytril is appetite loss (especially oral Baytril). Almost every chinchilla I have had to put on Baytril needed to be hand fed Critical Care (or another recovery food, like EFL) during the entire time they are on the antibiotic. Once the antibiotic stops they usually start eating on their own again within 48 hours. I say usually because some chins do get somewhat addicted to the CC and it takes a bit more time to get them eating on their own again.

For a chinchilla who isn't eating at all, I recommend giving at least 80-100cc of CC daily. Larger chins will need mroe to maintain their weight.

Edit: I just read where you stated that you use a harness for your chinchillas? I am not one to tell you how to take care of your animals, but I wouldn't feel right not mentioning the danger you are putting your chinchillas in. Chins have a floating ribcage and harnesses can easily break ribs and cause other internal injuries.

Last edited:
PIctures

Hey I realized I missed a bunch of replies, I tried to edit my post above but it took me more than ten minutes, so said time expired so I figured I would just make another reply!!

I wanted to say Yes I do have before and after pics. If anyone is interested in seeing the changes her color, fur, and general appearence underwent, and also how great she healed up for the most part let me know. I do have pictures also of the injury, because I document these things, and they are not for the squeamish.

I also thought about the paragraph I wrote and want to make sure I didnt rub anyone the wrong way. I am beginning to think the person who told me I will get nothing but "beat up" here no matter what I say is maybe the person the themselves did not make a good impression and does not want people here, because I see nothing but smart, educated, and mature people who really care about the well being of animals.

I don't know if this a the same site, a new one, if it has changed, or what, but taking my own advice and not believing everything i hear is a good phrase of the day for me lol. I hope no one was offended by what I said, because it was not meant to anyone in particular at all. I think I felt the need to defend myself because I was convinced based on anger directed misinformation, and you know who you are who gave it to me, that any reaction no matter what a person posts is always met with negativity and I see this is CERTIANLY NOT TRUE.

Anyways, PM me if you want to see the pictures. I have been trying to help fix chinnies up ever since I have had an interest in them. I also have pictures of other rescues before and after... one who came to me with his FOOT hanging off his leg, his thigh bone poking out of his fur, disconnected and dangling by a dried tendon, because at the PET STORE, the people who BREED CHINCHILLAS there let him on a METAL WHEEL and put him for sale at FIVE WEEKS. It was three days before I was even let known about him. They didnt want to pay to have him fixed. I seen him, his foot was huge, dead, dangling, of course he would be infected soon. I said screw that you cant just let him die like this...

So I amputated the bone, the foot, the injured parts, very sucessfully. With pain meds of course, antibiotics, and sterile equipment and proper medical tools. It was that or watch him die. They told me if I had the "guts" to fix him up I could take him home. I took him home, this is four years ago.You cant tell he is missing a foot, and he is small because he was taken so young. For three years, he has been in a small custom built cage made for him only. Since his injury, he had been terrified of any other chinchilla, from baby to adult. I have a feeling what happened is he was picked on, and chased behind the wheel, where one other one jumped on it, and he got caught upside down and after being stuck and suspended for a good 8 hours, well, you know what happened.

However, this last year, he accepted his first male cagemate! It is technically a breeder of mine, but he is takin a break, and one of the most docile males I have. They cuddle, and are friends, and he will not suffer complications. The vet said I did as well as they could have done with his amputation, some of it was luck, but it is also determination to help that made this work I think.

I decided to share this because i think people , many of them, are not really aware all too much about just HOW MANY chinchillas are out there that really do not get cared for the way they should, and that I beg if you do not have the money to take your chin in at any time should he need it, for the animals sake, wait until you do until you get one because it literally is a difference of life and death! :clap1:

Sometimes people who post here get "yelled" at in a way, but it's always for a valid reason, though the frustration they perceive (whether intentional by the person replying to them or not) is taken offensively. I think it's very difficult to communicate with typed words as opposed to spoken words, at a face to face level. And personalities can clash in either mode of interaction.

Crysta is right, Baytril causes loss of appetite. And I've heard it works better for ear infections than sulfa/trim (a popular sulfa antibiotic) does.

I have also heard about the danger of harnesses. Though I have no experience with them and don't actually know anyone who uses them. But I generally opt to do what well established members here recommend if I can't find any hard evidence on the issue and if what they say makes sense.

I don't see how anything you said was offensive in your post. I think it's great you love chinchillas so much and want them to be given a good home.

I do have one question--why did you choose to do the leg amputation yourself? I am assuming you did and that you are not a vet (other wise you could have probably written your own RX's for the antibiotics). Was it just because you knew you could and it would be easier or cheaper? Did you use anesthesia? While I don't think having a piece of paper with a medical degree makes it impossible for everyone that doesn't to have medical information and be able to apply it, I do worry when non-professionals state they are preforming surgery because I know some people do it without really being educated about what they are doing. Hopefully that was not the case here and I won't assume either way, just asking.

I'm not going to quote your first post but I'd like to make the following comments on it's contents:

After such intensive traumatic injuries that you describe I am surprised the poor female survived at all. Chinchillas can do horrific damage to one another & there's nothing cute or nice about chins who are fighting to the death. Situations like this are a harsh lesson in how vicious our small furry pets can be.
I am not surprised the chin developed a severe inner ear infection though - often the damage to the ears leads to infection which eats into the ear canal & bony structures of the skull. Long term, injectable antibiotics are often needed to control such deep-seated infections & I am afraid I have yet to see a chin fully recover & live a normal lifespan once a deep inner ear infection has been found.

However, he is experiencing a side effect that is new to me. By the third dose he has APPEARED to stop eating, pellets and hay. Even during the infection he ate like normal.

I was told by the tech that usually this will cause not constipation, because at first his poo got very very small and dry, and I am thinking constipation, but I have observed hiim now day and night and he is tired obviously, but he is not interested in food. I know that chins nreed to eat they cant go like this because they are constant foragers, so I mixed up the critical care and he got a nice feeding of it this morning, and I dont know if it maybe gave him an appetiite, but he was offered a piece of papaya ( rare treat) and he gobbled that right up. I gave him a shred of pineapple too ( all dried and made by me at home to make sure there is nothing added, they LOVE it and dehydrators are cheap.... ) and he liked that. So I am wondering if the classical saying of once they get hungry enough they will eat applies here or if I need to continue to force critical care on him. He will eat it but I am not comfortable doing this unless it is necessary. When I call the vet this morning again regarding the culture, I am going to go there and pick up a tapered feeding syringe to make it easier for me to give this to him with maximum protection against aspiration, etc.

As suggested above, oral Baytril often causes chins to go off their food. Are you giving probiotics 4 hours after the antibiotics in order to 'put back' the beneficial bacteria in the gut? If not, you need to get some ASAP.

No sweet foods, fruits or veggies - giving sweet foods to chins with poor appetite is a recipe for disaster - the 'bad' (pathogenic) bacteria in the gut thrive on sugars, & slow food transit through the gut leads to constipation because more fluid is removed from the gut contents - combined with the sugar this leads to bloat. Sugary foods also increase the risk of dental caries - you'll rot your chin's teeth.

This is basic knowledge - if you are taking on rescues I am surprised you do not know this already TBH.

One thing I do not do on this forum, because I was warned about it, is I will not respond to any implying accusations or off of the subject questions or people on the internet questioning anything, because this is the internet, so I am saying this because if someone has posted something similar in their replies asking me how I could put a chinchilla down ( despite how sick she is ) or what they would have done and how much better, all I have to say, if that is even posted as a reply, is that you dont know until it happens to you how the situation will be handled, and since everything is different, no situation is the same, I do not have the time to banter back and forth off subject about things, I just wanted people to hear my experience, how this turned out, and maybe it will help someone when they experience this.
I don't know if this a the same site, a new one, if it has changed, or what, but taking my own advice and not believing everything i hear is a good phrase of the day for me lol. I hope no one was offended by what I said, because it was not meant to anyone in particular at all. I think I felt the need to defend myself because I was convinced based on anger directed misinformation, and you know who you are who gave it to me, that any reaction no matter what a person posts is always met with negativity and I see this is CERTIANLY NOT TRUE
Umm....... if people come onto the forum & respectfully post then they are treated with equal respect - those who feel attacked are usually people who show lack of care for their chinchillas, want to breed despite not knowing much about chins but don't want to listen or come on the forum shouting their mouth off about how horrible breeders are.

I wanted to say Yes I do have before and after pics. If anyone is interested in seeing the changes her color, fur, and general appearence underwent, and also how great she healed up for the most part let me know. I do have pictures also of the injury, because I document these things, and they are not for the squeamish.
I think everyone will be interested in the photos - this forum is here for learning about chins so photos are always appreciated. Just post a warning about their graphic nature & that way, if people want to avoid them, they can.

I also thought about the paragraph I wrote and want to make sure I didnt rub anyone the wrong way. I am beginning to think the person who told me I will get nothing but "beat up" here no matter what I say is maybe the person the themselves did not make a good impression and does not want people here, because I see nothing but smart, educated, and mature people who really care about the well being of animals.
Very true.

Right, here's where it gets tricky - I want to address this amputation issue & I really hope I've got the wrong end of the stick..........

I have been trying to help fix chinnies up ever since I have had an interest in them. I also have pictures of other rescues before and after... one who came to me with his FOOT hanging off his leg, his thigh bone poking out of his fur, disconnected and dangling by a dried tendon, because at the PET STORE, the people who BREED CHINCHILLAS there let him on a METAL WHEEL and put him for sale at FIVE WEEKS. It was three days before I was even let known about him. They didnt want to pay to have him fixed. I seen him, his foot was huge, dead, dangling, of course he would be infected soon. I said screw that you cant just let him die like this...

So I amputated the bone, the foot, the injured parts, very sucessfully. With pain meds of course, antibiotics, and sterile equipment and proper medical tools. It was that or watch him die. They told me if I had the "guts" to fix him up I could take him home.

Please tell me that you didn't amputate that leg yourself?
If you did I am going to say that it was completely inappropriate & barbaric (& believe me, I am being very restrained & polite here).
The chin should have been taken to a fully qualified veterinarian for the procedure to be carried out under aseptic conditions, by a professional vet using correct, sterilized surgical instruments, correct ligation of blood vessels, correct closure of anatomical structures, appropriate fashioning of the stump & all carried out under appropriate anesthetic.

You cannot vent on here about how appalled you are by the way in which chins are not cared for properly & then post that you did "do it yourself" surgery on a chin, especially one that needed a limb amputation & had spent 3 days in pain, with exposed tissue & bone - the risks of infection were massive & the chin should have been taken to a vet.

Last edited:
I agree, that is nothing to be proud of that you wacked off a chins leg. Why did YOU not take the chin to a vet and have it done correctly, what is your excuse????

You seriously did a home amputation?! No offense, but I think it was pure luck that chin survived and didn't get an infection!

Tak- I have been trying to recover my user name and havent been able to. I am sorry this response came so late... It is not pure luck that he survived and didnt get an infection as the amputation was preformed sterile, and as soon as I was allowed to do it. it is pure luck however that he didnt die in the THREE days these stupid pet shop people kept him with his leg bone jutting out from the break.

He is actually cuddling finally with a spayed girl I have in here and they get along great. No male would accept him and he would nto accept males or babies.. now he does accept her.

I couldnt take the chin to the vt bcause it was not MINE. This was the property of someone else who said either come in and do this or we are just going to let him die. I am sorry but NO ONE in this situation would allow the animal if they could HELP IT to sit there and die and it is lauhable that anyone would do anything about a rodent, especially in this county these people opened their store up in.

I will not defend saving an animals life. I saved his life, and he is doing great. I do have pictures of before and after with the mother who was attacked, and she was on long term injectible antibiotics, but like most said it didnt stop a deep deep infection, and it wiped out three including her by the time it was done. Baytril was not effectve in my beige line, it is effective in eliminating the bacteria, but no matter if they have ll or cc or anything, they get bloat. THey refuse to be fed it, and will aspiraTE.

My other line of mutations can handle the baytril, and the standards I have can as well.

Unless you have had a LOT of chinchillas or been breeding a long time or worked with horrible people who litteraly will NOT LET YOU TAKE THE ANIMALE OUT OF THE STORE unless it is dead or fixed ( am[putated) gives you .ittle choice, some of you pick what you want but no one wants that situation and no one can really judge a person for the choce they make. I am VERY PROUD that he is alive, happy, has NO effecs, problems, or is otherwise hindered by this and he also does not experience pain that can be seen when he is observed. Maybe when had 3 chinchillas or 6 years ago I would have thought OMG but put yur own self in the situation and it isnt your animal but you CAN fix it... wouldnt you try?

Why bother with this thread now? Its old and DEAD and there is no advice that is remotely good. DIY leg removal by a non vet IS ANIMAL ABUSE, pure and simple, no doubt, and its ILLEGAL.

Back