hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

how many types of hay do you feed your chin because my friend feeds her chin 4 different types of hay(oat,alfalfa,timothy and orchard).

I use 6 - I give timothy about 3-4 times a week, Oat & Orchard grass about 2 times, a clump of alfalfa about 2 times per week as a treat in addition to one of the other hays. Then I have meadow grass which I give whenever I remember I have it. Lastly I give botanical hay occasionally to a chin I have who likes to ignore hay.

The reason to giving different types of hay is to give the chins some variety and consequently they eat more overall.

I give Timothy, Botanical, Orchard and Oat once in a while. Variety is the spice of life! :D

I get a bale of "grass" hay from a farmer. I guess that means orchard grass. There is some alfalfa in there, so I guess that she gets a couple different kinds.

My chins get herbal hay; it contains grass hays and some legume hays (alfalfa, red clover). Although many people prefer to feed soft, green, leafy hay, I think chins should get a good amount of stalky hay that's rich in phytoliths, supplemented with bark, herbs and soft hay(s). Soft, leafy hay is rich in nutrients. However, it's not likely to wear down teeth properly and fast enough. That's why the provision of abrasive diet is very important. Chinchillas come from the area where vegetation is coarse and abrasive.

For example, wild chins consume coarse Pasto Rey.

Pic of Pasto Rey
hay3.jpg

Here is a pic of stalky hay I really like. Surprisingly, my chins prefer stalks! In the morning, only soft leaves are left.
hay1.jpg

Here is a pic of stalks
hay2.jpg

Last edited:
What brand of hay do you give your chins? I personally give oxbow to kisses( the chin I chinnysit) because I've heard it's a good brand and that it's what she is used to.

Gee, now I feel like an evil tormentor! :neener: I only give Timothy hay from a local farmer, since I was given bales of it and then some cubes on occasion or on a few toys to see if they'll be interested. They don't really like the cubes, unless I hold it for them to chew on. Little Divas. :laughitup:
I'm actually kind of surprised that I don't give them differing types considering hay is the one treat that they go seriously crazy for, despite being in the cage every day. Hay refill time is the best part of every day!

Last edited:
Where do ya'll get these kinds of hay at? At the pet store or? I have only seen alfalfa and timothy.

You can also get hay from a feed store (for farmers) or there are tons of listings on Craigslist (at least in my area) in the farm section. It's only at most $8/bale from there.

Back