Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What hay do you prefer?

• American Pet Diner - Timothy High Fiber [1st cut]

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • American pet Diner - Timothy Gold [2nd cut]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxbow - Timothy

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Kleenmama - Timothy [1st cut]

• Kleenmama - Timothy [2nd cut]

• Kleenmama - Timothy [3rd cut]

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Kleenmama - Bluegrass

• Total voters

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
So, I was wondering what type of hay people prefer, and from what brand/provider? Putting up a poll, let's hope it works!

I can't get any of those hays you listed around here but I can get Nature's Cafe (from Oregon) timmy and alfalfa hay here and the boys seem to really like it. They get mostly timmy hay but occasionally I do put a little bit of alfalfa in with it.

Good ol' alfalfa hey from the cow farmer a few miles away, i get a bale for $1

None of the ones listed. I currently have Kaytee timothy (huge bag, will be getting Oxbow once this bag is gone), Oxbow Orchard, and Oxbow Alfalfa. I also give cubes of alfalfa and timothy. I rotate a lot for variety, they seem to eat it better if its not the same every day.

I use hay cubes(great for my allergies!), and will be using hay my fiance grows on the farm for the horses this year here and there.

I also use hay cubes, the brand at the moment is Rocky Mountain and it's a 50# bag.

If/when I get hay it's bale from the feed store, need to go see what they have. Been a bad year for hay here.

The difference is the texture when feeding 1st cut. 1st cut is more coarse and has more seed heads, the grass is softer. They decided they liked the 1st cut best, so that is what they get.

I also don't use any of the hay's listed...

I get my hay from a very nice horse person in the area. We're currently on oat grass/hay but neither her horses or my chins are overly excited about it so she's switching back to orachard grass. Her supplier didn't have orchard grass last time so she had to get what she could from a different place.

I also have orchard grass/alfalfa hay cubes. I get a 50# bag and give them to the chins if I don't want to deal with the loose hay or if Ty will be taking care of the chins because he's allergic to the loose.

but neither her horses or my chins are overly excited about it so she's switching back to orachard grass.

Interesting. I've tried it on a couple of occasions with various horses and also found they didn't care for it, to the point they were loosing weight over eating it. Never tried it with chins.

Back