Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

On petsmart.com and my local petsmart I found some flavoured hay. I thought it would give a variety to my chinchillas but then I thought it might be poisnous so I didn't buy it. It was Timothy hay but...you can't be too careful.the link is below.Also if it is safe and you've bought it before can you tell me how your chinchillas liked it?thanks!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553776&lmdn=Small+Pet

I do not use Kaytee Hay unless I have no other options. I prefer Oxbow if I am not grabbing it from a bale in the barn

If you're buying hay from the local petstore, have you tried offering your chin the Oxbow Orchard grass hay as a supplement to the everyday regular Timothy Hay? I supplement my chin's hay with some of the orchard grass (also called botanical grass; it's a mix of different types of softer, leafier hays) and some really fibrous hay (like oat hay from APD).

There are a few members on CnH that sell various herbal supplements that you can give a pinch to your chin to supplement their diet as well.

I'm not a big fan of Kaytee Products either, so I would recommend staying away from them since it's a waste a money for such poor, dry quality hay. If you switch to a higher quality hay, you may notice that your chin wastes less hay and eats a lot more of it.

Back