Hay and Shavings in Bulk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that site. That could be a very good resource for someone needing to find local hay. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything around me, but I'll watch it to see if someday maybe someone will have something that I could use locally!

I looked at that website about a month ago and unfortunately there is no one on there in my zip code. Boo. I really liked that some farms offered smaller bales of hay as well, just none around me.

I just talked to a rep from equilitter and he told me a 40lb bag is $6.95 and it is basically scoopable pine pellets. They did a demostration with with this litter and a cup of coffee. He said there was no odor of the coffee. This product is 100% pine! I can't wait to get some!! He also said if used in a litter tray with a wire floor, not to fill up with the pine pellets because it would expand through the wire floor.

I just talked to a rep from equilitter and he told me a 40lb bag is $6.95 and it is basically scoopable pine pellets. They did a demostration with with this litter and a cup of coffee. He said there was no odor of the coffee. This product is 100% pine! I can't wait to get some!! He also said if used in a litter tray with a wire floor, not to fill up with the pine pellets because it would expand through the wire floor.

Which location are you dealing with? I live by Orland Park, IL. I'd love to try those pine pellets as well.

on the hay exchange website that was posted theres a link on it for bagged shavings at the top of the page.
I checked for Kentucky and every place has bad min. order number. There was a min. order of 45, 100, 900 bags. These were 40 and 50 lb bags. Really cheap too. All between 3$ and 6$ a bag. The closet one to me had a min. order of 100 bag and having only one cage that uses bedding...its just not reasonable to order 100 bags of bedding. But some placed didn't have a min. order. Thought I'd post this to help out those rescues who use bedding.
I'll defiantly check out the hay exchange.

Thanks for posting.

This pine litter called equilitter they made it for horse stalls. I would think the only smell from it would be the pine smell. I'm going today to pick up 4 bags. I will let you all know how it works. The rep also told me that they are finding so many uses for it. He said labs around the world are using it for their lab rats. If you all know how strong coffee smells, and they use coffee for the demostration and theres no odor from the coffeee that remains in these pellets, how great will this work in our chinnie cages. With having 76 cages and 100+ chins, I can clean the corners daily and probably only worry about once a week cleaning them out entirely. These pellets work just like cat litter they absorb and stick when liquid mixes with them..

I get Equine Fresh in 40lb bags at TSC for $5.79 + tax. It worked well for me when it was the only bedding I used, and I only noticed a faint pine smell. Every time I get aspen its very dusty and irritates my rats & chins (and myself). You dont need as much pellets to cover a pan as you do shavings, so in my opinion it seems to last longer. It'll crumble & spread out as it gets wet, and when your pan starts looking like it has more sawdust than pellets, its time to clean the cage. In my cages that have 3-4 chins, it seems to work well being replaced once a week.

Here's another hay classified site: HayBarn.com
~Barb~

Latest posts

Back