Hay and Fleece liners...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrieannaRochea

For those of you who use fleece liners in the cage, how do you get all of the little hay pieces off? I had liners in the past, and I'd like to have them again. My only problem was the hay sticking to the fleece. I was afraid that it'd eventually mess up the washing machine lol.

I just shake mine out outside and give it a quick brush with one of those dust pan brushes. Sometimes I miss a little bit of hay or liter, so I wipe out the inside of the washing machine each time I do animal laundry :)

I vacuum the liners and then use a rag to wipe out the extra clinging inside the washer after the wash. I do a load of cleaning rags or just a empty load to rinse it out after as well. I also wash them inside out, (I make mine pillowcase style) once they come out of the drier the extra hay is in a clump inside the liner that is easy to pick out/off. For the liner I use on the bottom of the cage that is solid (sewn all the way around and sits on top of a fleece covered pan) I just vacuum and shake it off before washing. Another option if you are still worried about even a little hay ending up in the washer would be to put all the dirty fleece in a large thin cloth bag or pillow cases and wash them that way.

I shake mine out in the middle of the chin room (hardwood floors), sweep up/gather up the big pieces of hay to toss away and then vacuum up the rest. As long as I get all the big pieces out I'm good to go (thus far anyways....). I wash all my fleece about once a week and vacuum it while it's in the cage a few times a week, throwing out the big pieces of discarded hay on a daily basis. I've also found that getting a big metal bowl that attaches to the side of the cage and putting the hair in that limits the amount that gets scattered all over.

Twice a week I take all the fleece out and shake them into the garbage can to get the bulk of the mess off them, then I set the fleece down on the ground and put 25 lb weights on the corners to hold it still while I vacuum them. That gets just about every bit of hay, poop, and shavings off the fleece. After that they go into the washing machine and when they are done being laundered both the washer and dryer have to be wiped out for the stragglers that got past me. That seems to be working for me pretty well.

I shake mine out into the compost and then take them to the laundry mat. I try to vacuum up the hay while they are in the cage with the hand vac or the smallest attachment on the shop vac. I also try to get out as much of the old hay before I put new in, but that's nearly impossible.

Back