Have a chin put on weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

Hi guys! It's a long time I haven't posted here!

I got this rescue that lost 60g when he moved from his previous home to here. He's stabilized at 485g for a while now, like 4 weeks, but he just won't gain his weight back!

He eats well (Oxbow), as he's not loosing any weight. He drinks well ( from a bowl, he's been drinking from a bowl for 7 years and there's no way he'll accept a bottle..I tried...). He eats some treats, chews wood, etc. He barely eats hay though. He never had hay before in his life. He will chew a bit of botanical hay but that's it. We went to the vet and there's no obvious physical problems that could stop him from gaining weight. Although I still have to have a giardia lab test soon to make sure.

He's in the same cage he was before, with his roomate of the past 7 years too. Roommate's fine, didn't lose weight. Poop looks good.

Any cues to help me out?
He's freakin thin. Hair on his hips look like they've been chewed, but it's just because he's so thin.....

4 weeks is not really that long for no weight gain after loss, especially a rescue. A couple of things you can try is give him a bit of alfalfa, you can also try some lifeline as a supplement, other than that as long as he is not losing weight you can just watch him for the long haul, it can take a few months.

Back