Have 2 Legged Children, Get Rid of 4 Legged Children...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really understand the whole pet and child thing either. I have 10 chinchillas, 2 dogs and 2 cats and 3 kids. The children do not in anyway interfere with my ability to care for my animals. i think my animals and children love each other as though they are siblings! The kids love the animals- they feed them, groom them, pet them them and sleep with them (well they don't sleep with the chins! but, you get what I mean.LOL) I agree with the fact that it really teaches them love and responsibility. It teaches them to respect other living creatures. I grew up with all kinds of animals and come from an animal lover back round. I had horses, goats, chickens, sheep, rabbits, guinea pigs, lizards, dogs, cats, mice and hamsters. not all at once but at various times. I truely think that it's the reason I'm a giving and loving person. It's important to have different kind of relationship with animals as a kid. I remember when I was a kid, my cat was my best friend in the world! I even told him "secrets" that I didn't want anyone else to know. I think that people just get sick of having animals, bored with them or whatever and deciede to replace them with people babies and kids instead. I wonder if they get bored with their human kids and babies?

I just know that my husband's cousin gave up his dog because of his daughter. Of course, he wasn't married to the mother... it was supposedly an "oopsie". He eventually married her and they all moved in together. The dog was snappy and had bitten several people in the past, so his wife told him that the dog needed to find a different home. The dog ended up going to live with his ex-wife, so it wasn't like it was a total stranger. His wife brought with her a cat that she had had, but as their daughter got older she started developing an allergy to the cat. Since she is allergic to a number of things (including nuts), it was suggested that the kitty go as well. Funny thing is... he divorced this woman after less than 3 years of marriage. He's married to someone new now.

Yeah, no offense meant to your cousin in law, but the problems with those animals sound like they started with their owners. Dogs don't get snappish easily when they're properly taken care of and trained, and a simple bath monthly would have helped with the allergy issue immensely. If you value your animal enough, there are some pretty easy ways to work around allergies.

He was a small dog, but I'm not sure what his reasons for snapping were. I just know that he bit both a plumber and an electrician. He just didn't like strangers coming into the house. I'm not offended, I don't think that the situation was handled very well. As for people becoming allergic to the animals, I suppose it would all depend on how severe the allergies actually were and how "washable" the animal is. I grew up with animals too and I have loved all of my babies throughout the years. I guess that these are things people should be thinking about before they get the pet. Simply having children shouldn't be a reason to get rid of an animal though. There would need to be a VERY good reason and the person should do everything they can to make sure the animal goes to a good home (no dumping them at a vet's office or wherever).

Although I stick with my original statement/question - The subject of allergies caught my attention.
I have read several published articles and saw one documentary on how children (not in the U.S.) suffer less from allergies just because they are exposed to so many different types of animals (thus building up their immune system).
We in the States tend to put our children in "Plastic Bubbles", so as they will not be subjected to germs - So much "Antibacterial" soaps etc. add to this problem - I am not writing that children should live in filth ! (Smiles) Just that perhaps with we being "Oh so careful" that we are doing more harm than good.

I don't understand it either. Yeah, pets interrupt vacations and require advance planning. When I never had any, I could leave whenever I wanted, but now with the dog, I have to make the 40 minute drive to my co-workers' place to drop her off before I take off for any period of time. But, that's the choice that came with having a dog, and I can't complain, because I knew that when I got her.

I agree with what mishellyshel said about the getting the pets and thinking where you'll be in 8-20 years... I think a lot of people don't think ahead, even a little! In apartment building where I live, the guy that just moved downstairs had to rehome his pitbull puppy (we can have dogs here, but not pits or certain other breeds)...he couldn't have gotten the dog more than 4-5 weeks before moving here, but he didn't stop to think about the future long enough to consider if an apt complex would let him have a pit.

Growing up I always had small animals, and have now moved onto dog+ small animals. For the comment on allergies and asthma--I have severe asthma and I will never be able to live with chins right in my room - they have to be in a separate room with a door that can be closed for dusting cause the dust just kills me... but I take allergy and asthma meds and even though I still have some allergies, I couldn't see my life without my dog and chins.

While I imagine some people do have allergies that might be hard to manage, what kills me is when they say they've had the dog for 5 years and then develop an allergy. Maybe this is medically possible, I don't know, but to me, it sounds like an excuse to get rid of the dog... Allergy meds don't cost that much....

I've read articles like what grace mentioned above... and it seems to be true. NEITHER of my parents are allergic to any nuts or any animals. I'm allergic to animals, dust, and all nuts. Whether or not that has to do with keeping things clean, I can only speculate, but the house was always immaculate growing up, we washed our hands alllll the time, no pets cause til i was like 13 cause they were "dirty"....

I do have to say using too much antibacterial product is a touchy topic. I know our biology professors just love to roll their eyes and bite their tongues when they see students drowning their hands in the waterless sanitizers :). Antibacterial products, if misused, can actually make you more susceptible to becoming sick. Since our immune system requires exposure to build up defenses, being shut out from all germs would definitely be a bad thing. But to be that negatively effected by them you would have to REALLY over use them. I guess what Grace said would go along the same lines if you're "in a bubble" for most of your life once your bubble pops you're going to be way more likely to get sick than someone who has been in contact with a normal amount of germs.
Since my work sells antibacterial products I've actually been yelled at on the sales floor for "selling products that hurt people" as one customer put it. :err: Needless to say I was very taken aback lol

As for developing allergies later on, it happened to me. I was perfectly fine until I was about 16. I got sick for about three weeks and the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until we finally did allergy testing. Turns out I'm allergic to grass pollen, I hate the spring :/. I don't know if the same type of thing can happen with animal allergies though. Luckily I am in no way allergic to my chinny :)

I don't understand it myself. But after working in an office dealing with people suffering, or choosing to live at the poverty level...........I can say that a portion of this group finds taking care and keeping of their own offspring a pain in the butt. Too busy doing naughty irrespondsible lifestyles and shoving the kids off to who ever or grandparents, all the while being unaccountable for their actions. Then the children suffer.

Perhaps thats what happens in this group. Baby comes along.........pets are seen as too much respondsibilty and then they are disposable. Being a mother I understood what would be required of me being a parent. But my commitment to my animals is just as important. Only a severe health problem with myself or a family member would have me finding 19 of my animals a new homes. And then I would move heaven and earth finding them homes. And some people love their animals too much to drop them off at the pound and it's a desperate situation. Thus they may end up at vet offices and non kill shelters ect.

My co-worker at my previous job and I sat down one day with closed doors. We have heard every story known to man that would shock most of you. Children dumped at grandparents forever and dissapear, the children in jail or prison and the kids at who evers house or grandparents. Those that keep having children because birth control is too difficult when your looking for your next "favor" to live on that coinage to keep yourself out of the welfare system because you burned your lifetime benefits from the state.
Karen and I lived this everyday as case workers and it takes a toll on you. Our only saving grace was this statement. " They make you get a license for a dog and you don't have to have one to produce children. " :hair:

All people do not have the same morals. And some of those pet owners fall into that catagory. Thank goodness there are people like us who take in some of the unwanted and are so blessed. And the othe forgotten pets and children you say prayers for.

I think situations like this just show how irresponsible people are in general. Many feel animals are disposable and they can get rid of them any time. It's sad for the animal because they get bonded to their owner. I read this a few months ago and thought everyone would like to read it too.

Help Urgently Required!

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for an exotic rare breed dog, we were finally notified by the breeder that at long last, our number has come up, and...

WE'RE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must IMMEDIATELY get rid of our children now, because we just KNOW how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be! Since our puppy will be arriving on Monday, we MUST place the children in new homes this weekend!!!

They are described as:

One male, white, blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Name is Tommy. Temperament tested. Current on all shots. Tonsils removed already and very healthy condition!

Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little time and training, he will do well in a new home.

One female, strawberry blonde hair, green eyes. Three years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Her name is Mary. Temperament tested, but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and happy (mostly.) Gets along well with little boys, but does not like to share toys.

She is house trained, and would do best in a one child household.

We really LOVE our children, and want to do what is best for them. I hope you understand, that ours is a UNIQUE situation, and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed by Sunday night at the latest.

-author unknown

I was reading this and nobody seems to have brought it up yet, but I was curious... what happens if you have a child and had full intentions of keeping your pets, but then found out that they were allergic to the animals?

Get the kid a Tyvek suit! ;) I am kidding of course, but in this case, IF you HAVE to give them up, find good homes for them yourself instead of dumping them at the pound or shelter.
This way you can keep track of who has them and maybe even go visit every once in a while.

My opinion, but anyone who says they have to get rid of pets because they are having a child, either just don't want to put any effort into life, or are trying to find any excuse in the book to get rid of their pets. I've never gotten rid of all my pets, and have two kids(and had the pets well before the kids came along.), that do keep me busy but I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for allergies, when I was little myself, I was allergic to two different pets we had, and instead of getting rid of them, my mother and the rest of the family took care of them and I didn't go near them. Simple enough.

Even my husband, has allergies and we just found ways to minimize his allergic reactions, or he takes medication for it if it gets really bad. He's allergic to cats, but he lets the cat sleep with him, plays with him, etc...

I personally can't see an excuse to just dump one's pets, unless your dying, critically ill/sick, or you lost your house and are homeless without a job. Just my opinion, because that is the only way I would let go of all my pets. :) I admit I've ripped into a few people who have requested I take in their pets, because they suddenly decided after 4 years of having them, their house is suddenly too small, or they don't have time anymore, etc... I lose my patience after hearing those poor excuses too much from too many people over the years.

I'm just going to put my two cents in. I know this may comes a huge shock to some of you, but just because you're a parent doesn't make you a good parent! AND just because you're a parent doesn't mean you're going to have a kind and loving child. Some children are very mean to pets, they poke them, squeeze them, and yes even kill them. So I do understand sometimes why parents, especially new parents feel the need to get rid of their pets to raise a child. I have known really nice people who had horrid, horrid, animal killing children. And that's disturbing to me. I do personally feel animals enrich our lives and every household should grow up with an animal, but you have to really love that animal. Just because you want a dog doesn't mean you're family will handle having a dog--or any pet for that matter. A pet should only be in a home where there is love and kindness--sometimes people have pets not realizing their children aren't nice to the pet or caring for the pet. So sometimes I do understand why people do kids and not pets. Alas when you're kid turns out like crap you can't just take them to the "pound" to be placed somewhere else or even put down.

Hello Lan63,
I was concerned by your message.
The majority of children are taught by their parents as to how to treat animals - It is a learned behavior.
And , yes, I totally agree with you that just because you have involvement in the birth of a child, DOES NOT MAKE A PARENT. (I have living proof at my house 5 days a week, in the shape of a perfect grandchild).
I have NEVER known nice wonderful parents who raised "Animal Killers" - You wrote that "Sometimes people have pets not realizing their children are not nice to the pet or caring for the pet" - Question ? Do the parents live in a different household ??? Blind interaction with their "Children" ? Any parent that does not know their child has an anger issue - has NO relationship with their child.

Grace, I am agreeing with Lan63 here. Sometimes our children aren't what we expect them to be or what we would hope to raise them to be. There is genetics issues and mental health issues that come into play that cannot be controlled by the parents. There are terrible, awful parents who, say, spend all their time at the bar getting drunk and their children are straight A, responsible children. I've seen it happen when my kids were in school. Some of their classmates were quite successful despite having crappy parents. I have also seen very diligent, concerned, caring parents have children that are horrible. The parents are beside themselves trying to help their child to no avail. When raising children, sometimes things are just beyond your control. There are families I know that have two wonderful, kind, successful children and the third child is just bound to self destruct no matter what intervention is tried by the family. For the most part, yes, it is the parent that teaches a child to be kind and compassionate and, for the most part, things go as planned. But sometimes things are just out of our hands. I believe that is what Lan63 is talking about. Those are the cases where an animal must be rehomed for it's own welfare.

I agree-it's wrong-its a copout!

Having my daughter, who is 3 1/2 years old now, actually made me want more animals. It is a wonderful thing for a child to learn to care for and respect other living creatures. They learn to be more kind this way and more respectful of all the creatures around them, not to mention learning responsibility and understanding life much better, and in turn death! When I was born, my parents had and kept our golden retriever and rabbit. In my 26 years, I've been exposed to just about every rodent there is, dogs, birds, snakes, fish, hermit crabs, etc. Not cats-my dad doesn't like them:( But I learned about death, life, how to care for another living creature, how to truly respect their life and needs, and just how to be a better person in general. When people use this as an excuse to dump their animals, their family (in my opinion), it is just that-an excuse. Occassionaly ignorance, but usually an excuse! And a pathetic one at that.

My daughter is the reason I became interested in chinchillas. We were watching Diego one morning and he saved a baby chinchilla, lol. She thought it was adorable so I researched and researched and researched like crazy for over a week before deciding we could handle one and provide it wiith anything it could need. Then we brought Sunny home and I knew I'd love him, but it's sooooo much more than that now! He's my son, lol! I can't imagine my life without him and cannot wait to add 1 or 5 more to our family. We'll be adopting and I can't wwait.

With him, she still needs to learn to be calmer somttimes, but besides that, he's teaching her soooo much and she adores him. And he actually likes her better than me I think, lol! I do just about everything for him and spend more time with him, but when she's there during playtime, he never bothers with me-he's all over her! It's adorable.

I could never give up a pet! Because to me, they're not just 'pets'. They're family. And I like them way more than most people, lol! I love them more than most, too!

Ahmen Grace! I am totally in agreement with YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with what most people have said, I would never give up my pets for any reason. I don't want kids anyway, but all the people I know with kids still care for and love their pets, as it should be. I grew up with pets and they are very important to my life.

When I was 5, a doctor told my parents I was allergic to cats and I should get rid of my new kitten. My mom, an RN, didn't really agree and I was TOTALLY not having it!! I had allergy shots and eventually grew out of my allergies altogether. My kitty was with me my whole life up until this year, and I love(d) him like a family member or best friend.
Growing up I also had other cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, hermit crabs, and fish. They were all special to me and I had responsibility to take care of them. It taught me about unconditional love and to be gentle and respectful of animals.

Some people, like it has already been said, are just lazy and did not want any added responsibility in their life with the addition of a child. Laurie also has a point, some children can be mean or rough with animals, some are just like that. Parents really MUST watch their children's interactions with pets at all possible times. If it can't happen, I can see rehoming the pet with a friend or family member until the child is older, for the pet's safety only.

Just wanted to add, I have a cat now that is very hostile towards me, but loves my bf. I would never get rid of her because I adopted her and she is my responsibility. I've had her for 8 years and she is less bitey and growley now than she was then. I also don't agree with people that adopt pets and then take them back like they're a product from a store.

Last edited:
Ok, on the allergy thing. Both my parents grew up with cats. My father is very allergic to cats. For some reason they still decided to have them. My older brother is also very allergic to cats--still they adopted a few. I was born into a household of cats and am also very allergic. We've had a handfull of cats in my life and practically my whole family is allergic. I think my mom is torturing all of us haha. But in all seriousness we all love cats dearly and everyone but me is a "cat" person (I'm an "animal" person--I don't discriminate as much as my family does haha). We were all exposed as much cat as we could have possibly been and obviously the allergies were overwhelmingly genetic. Ironically, my dad is allergic to dogs, but no one else in my family is, so we've never owned a dog. I think he's really bad with dogs though. I've been taking antihistamines ever since I can remember and everone else does too. Now, with the kids gone my parents still own cats. My brother moved to south carolina and owns 3 kittens. I only own a chin but my roommate wants a kitty.

My parents briefly considered putting the cat we inherited when my Nana died up for adoption which my brother did not opppose but I refused to let them. I told them I would disown them as a family and my mom really didn't want to do it--it was her mother's cat to begin with.

I love animals, if I didn't grow up with them (as much as they made me sneeze and cry!) I think it would have been harder for me to realize I wanted to go into animal science.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that it is just laziness. That's the only excuse. It's enjoyable until someone has a couple days where they are tired or busy or pregnant or what ever and realize that the animals still need them. People want pets that only serve their needs. When I want to be, pets should be playful... etc. But pets are reliant upon us for health care, food, cleaning, etc.... people find this "inconvenient" and therefore disposable.

People think of me as "crazy" for devoting so much time and energy to my furbabies... but I'd rather be crazy than lazy, neglectful and ultimately uncaring.

Atleast I know my four-legged babies are well loved!

Hello Lan63,
I was concerned by your message.
The majority of children are taught by their parents as to how to treat animals - It is a learned behavior.
And , yes, I totally agree with you that just because you have involvement in the birth of a child, DOES NOT MAKE A PARENT. (I have living proof at my house 5 days a week, in the shape of a perfect grandchild).
I have NEVER known nice wonderful parents who raised "Animal Killers" - You wrote that "Sometimes people have pets not realizing their children are not nice to the pet or caring for the pet" - Question ? Do the parents live in a different household ??? Blind interaction with their "Children" ? Any parent that does not know their child has an anger issue - has NO relationship with their child.
You would be surprised what some "parents" can turn a blind eye to, I lived next door to a pet collector who also had 3 kids. She was rarely in the same room as the kids and pets, I personally saw the son hitting a dog or squeezing a kitten. They had a total of 4 dogs, 6 or 7 cats, a hedgehog, a hamster,in and out of that house over the 5 years they lived here.
Indifference is just as bad as teaching actual abuse. I'm very proud of the way our kids take care of Kiwi and our cat, animals have taught my kids to be compassionate to those around them. I could never imagine not having a pet around the house. I hope that my kids are learning that once you make a commitment to something, you stick to it, and not look for an easy way out. End of crazy long post lol.:)

Back