Handling a chinchilla for inspecting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrogeir

I worded the title a little weirdly I think.
Either way, this is a question about handling a chinchilla, even though I am confident in picking up and handling my two chins. Both of my chins do freak out a little whenever I reach out for them but once handled they calm down quickly, so it is well. They get more used to it the more I do it.
My main concern however - is the way of handling a chinchilla. My chins are at most safe when I support their hind legs and keeping close to my chest, to prevent them from accidentally attempting to jump out of my hands (although if they close to doing so I always release them near the ground so they are safe).

Recently I have needed to check both of my chin's hind feet, because they are dry (but not infected nor cut, just flaky,dry skin. Does not bother or cause pain at all.), but my issue started when having to apply thin layer of lukewarm/warm water on their affected areas. Obviously when supporting them from below you cannot really apply anything on them. I only managed to do it a few times by slanting myself and lightly holding one foot and supporting the other with one hand (I have a family member who helped apply lightly on their feet), but obviously the chins do not like it when they cannot feel support on all their feet :broken:

Holding the chins by the base of their tails would more than likely scare them even more, and I'm unsure of any other ways. Is there perhaps another way of safely reaching their hind legs while handling?

Thanks again :p

First of all a better idea for dry feet then water would be bag balm, I don't think they can really absorb water though their feet. Also you do want the skin on the feet to be dry and callused, that is what protects the feet, you don't want flaky skin though.

For handling, one good way to put stuff on the bottom of the feet is to pick up the chin by the base of the tail, where it meets the body/butt. Have the chin on a table or something and gently lift up the rear end by the base of the tail and the feet are accessible. If the squirm just lift up a little off the table, they normally will stop wiggling once they are off the ground, this is how people hold chins for grooming (on the table part, not hanging in the air, lol). Another option, that might work depending on your chins, is to burrito wrap them with the back feet sticking out the bottom, you'll probably need a extra set of hands for that, one to hold the chin and one to apply stuff to the feet.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I was aware that bag balm ( others say udder balm, unsure which would be considered "better" for situations like this) would help such feet heal better, but because it didn't look so severe the last few times i checked it, I thought just simple applying of water (definitely not on their fur) would help the skin heal on its own as it is receiving moisture from drinking. Unless things dont work that way then my logic is clearly flawed.

I will check up on them the next few days to see if it gets any worse or if there is an improvement (through anything), but if it didn't seem to do anything/worse I will definitely take up your advice and find one of the balms to use. They are such happy chins.

I am still a little worried about using the tail base grabbing, but if I am ever in a situation where I have to apply on my own I will do so. My dominant girl hates being touched on/near her derriere, but i'm sure other than a few barks and a nip to put me into place it should be fine. Otherwise, the burrito example ( a better version than how i did it before) seems to be the least stressful choice.

Thanks again!

Back