Hair rings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms316

I have a male chinchilla and I read that you are suppose to frequently check the male for hair rings. I attempted to do this a few time, but he was just too Jittery (Hints the name Jitters). I read that if you don't check them often then it could hurt him and can cause death, is this true? And if I do need to give him checks how can I do it without him jumping and squirming around so much?

I can count on one hand the amount of hair ring checks that I've done on all of my males. If I see them messing with themselves too much, then I check, otherwise not so much.

I did have one male here for a short time that you had to check every single week or he would get a horrible infection, but he was definitely not the norm.

I do pretty much the same as Tunes. I used to check monthly for the males, but I would almost never find any. Now, if I see them messing with that area excessively, I'll pull em out and check. And sometimes I'll check to show someone how to do it, and occasionally will find one... but we haven't had it too common with our males.

Though some males will get them all the time. Thankfully, we've never had one of those.

Well, I see him messing with himself often, but when I try he won't stay still. I put him in a sit up position to where his back is facing me. Is that right, or do I need to have him in a different position?

Also, do I need anything specific to help check him? I read people use Vaseline, are you suppose to use that or anything else?

It's easier with help, but if you don't have any, it might be easier to rest him on a table and then slightly lift his hind end so he can't run away from you. It takes practice to be able to do it by yourself, and the chins aren't all that happy about it either way you do it.

It takes practice to be able to do it by yourself. I can manage with the chin sort of wedged between my one arm and body (facing upwards, like a baby), and the other hand working at getting it out... but I still don't always get it on the first time. If you have someone who can hold him for you, that makes things a heck of a lot easier.

If he does have a hair ring, I've used vaseline in the past to help get it off... I'm not sure that's the best thing to use. I mean, it did help some, because you do need something to lubricate it to get the hair off (at least in the few I've had to get off), but I've heard people say they used KY jelly and I imagine, as that's a bit more slippery than vaseline, that might do the trick a bit better.

I don't check my boys unless they are messing with themselves a lot. The easiest way is to hold the chin facing out against your chest and have someone else help you to gently pull the penis from the sheath, check for hair rings and then gently guide the penis back into the sheath. I have had one boy longer than the other, and the first one didn't even know that he had a penis until the other one came around and showed him how to self pleasure. They are very non-discreet about it, but I think they are slowly slowly learning that it will get them a check if they do it (it's been 3 years!).

I actually at first didn't realize you had to do this, When I first got my two guys, I brought them to a small animal vet, who never mentioned it. When a vet that specialized in small animals moved into the vet we go to for our other pets, I went to her, luckily she had chins and told me about this, and did check and found tigger did have one......now this was two years later, so thats two years without checking for one and only tigger had one.
After that i've been nervous about checking, but it just takes some time, first time I was really nervous but after a bit, was able to check.
I also noticed, they aren't checking themselves alot like they use to. I think its good advice to check when you see them checking themselves out, or just once a month.
But you'll get use to it, I'm still getting use to it, but it gets easier.

Thanks everyone for all the help! I feel a little better now that I know more about it. I'll probably check him if I notice him messing with himself more down there. Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Back