Hair on tail falling out

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhowell

What is going on here. It is a perfect bald patch n the top base of his tail. The skin does not seem irritated at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 42
How big is the wire on your cage? This happens often with 1" wire spacing as they'll stick their tail out while sitting on the shelf.

The cage wires are about 3/4 inch or a little less. My son says he may have pulled on his tail about 2 weeks ago but the spot seems to be getting a little bigger.

Chi, Chi seems happy. He cuddles with my daughter. He plays around the room. He has even started to popcorn. Just really worried. Should he go to the vet? Should we treat it with tenactin.

Here is a pic of his house.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
I've most often seen this type of fur slip after a chin has been groomed for show. Chins are held by their tail while they are groomed. I agree with Tiffany on picking up or holding the chin by the tail. Rubbing on the cage is a possibility.

The bare spot/skin does not look red or flakey in the picture which might indicate fungus. It doesn't look irritated and scabbed or scraped as though the tail had been injured in an accident. If the chin is using the tail normally and the skin looks healthy there is nothing to be concerned about the fur should grow back in a few months. Just keep an eye on it to be sure the tail continues to look healthy. Often tail fur takes longer to grow back than body fur.

Last edited:
Is there any need to treat with anti fungal or just leave it be.

Thanks everyone

Back