Guinea pigs and chins - do they need "introducing"?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

I don't have a separate chinroom: both my boys live happily in their ferret nation cage in the living room. On the opposite side of it there are 2 guinea pigs living in a big ferplast cage without floors.

Since the chins don't get playtime yet -and if they do it won't be in the living room- they don't need to interact with their co-inhabbitants, but when the piggies make noise the chins get very interested.

When we come at home for example, our guinea pigs trained us that whenever we enter the appartment they squeal till they get some chicory (their favorite).
Or at night, when they frolic around in their shavinds and hay, they talk a lot amongst them (the piggies).

At these points the chins storm up their cage to the top lvl (the couch is in between and blocks their sight at the lower floor), go sit on their backpaws and try to determine wjhere the sound comes from.
If they see them I don't know, no idea how good a chin can see actually...

I can't say that they really communicate or interact, one squealing doesn't make the other one go off or anything... But there certainely is interest.

I am now wondering if these animals should "see" eachother. Whether briefly just so they know who is who, or if they would enjoy being in eachothers eyerange. Don't know if they would benefit from this or not.

Another related -and please don't hit me if stupid- question; the chins are both boys and the guinea pigs are both female. Ofcourse, 2 different species = 2 different species, but I have always heard that 2 chin boys can live together happily unless there is a female chin in the room wich can lead to intolerant or more dominant/agressive behaviour. Seeing the guinea pigs are female, and they are also rodents, couldn't certain smells or something trigger certain behaviour with my chins or is this highly unlikely?

srry for the wall of text, thanks in advance for your patience and help.

Your chins do not need to be introduced to the guinea pigs. They will probably pick up on the noise when you come home and do their own type of greeting. They will not be affected by the female guinea pigs.

Back