Guinea Pig Help~

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guinea pigs need gp food for the vit c, just pellets no treats in the food. Ours love fleece houses just a few inches off the floor and wood houses from Christine.
We keep a section with shavings that we feed them in because that contains a lot of the pee, for some reason they pee when they eat. The rest of the cage and shelves are fleece, like chins they poop a lot and everywhere.
Hay lots of hay. Ours love running up and down the tubes betweeen the shelves.

I believe I stated before, they can't be litter trained. Like 3chins, I have carefresh bedding in their hay and pellet area since they mainly poop and pee while they eat. Carefresh is a great bedding for guinea pigs. What kind of shavings is he on currently? Guinea pigs can't be on pine or cedar or they can develop respiratory problems. I use fleece in the rest of the cage, but the guinea pigs urinate on the fleece a lot more than chins, so you need an absorbent layer under the fleece like towels or puppy pads. I use uhaul pads in my fleece liners. It works AMAZINGLY!

I should also mention that fleece doesn't work well in those small pet store cages. They get very wet and smelly very quickly! They work best in a large C&C cage, which I also recommend getting.

You can't feed Mazuri chin pellets. You should feed Oxbow guinea pig pellets. You also need to feed him an unlimited supply of hay.

I suggest searching this gp forum for any questions you may have. They are WONDERFUL!! www.guinealynx.info/forums/

Here is a list of some of the veggies and fruit they can eat: http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/fruitandveg.html

Last edited:
Thank you so much! He actually is on pine shavings and i was not aware if gave them respitory problems. All your advice is greatly appreciated!!

Definitely get rid of the pine ASAP. Substitute it with Carefresh or aspen. I personally like the carefresh better than wood shavings.

Others may disagree, but in my opinion pine bedding is okay too, so long as it's kiln dried pine, and so long as the cage is open and well ventilated.

I've always used kiln dried pine bedding for my piggies (I've rescued 18 guineas over the last 12 years), and have only had one with a respiratory problem, and hers was a pre-existing condition that I knew about when I adopted her.
Carefresh and aspen are definitely good too though.
None of my piggies have bothered much with toys or chews, but they really enjoy tunnels and hidey houses they can run in and out of. Lots of hay and a variety of veges will keep their teeth in check.

One way to get him to be more cuddly is to offer him some veges every time you pick him up. Let him eat the veges when he's in your lap, and soon he'll look forward to being picked up and cuddled on the couch. My guineas will often snuggle down and snooze on my lap while I'm watching tv. It's so cute to watch them sleeping :)
Guinea pigs are awesome pets!

I wouldn't use pine. Why take the risk? It's just not worth it. There are documented cases of pine bedding causing respiratory problems in guinea pigs.

I thought that was just when the pine wasn't kiln-dried?

Would you be able to reference these cases for me please? I'd really like to read up on this...

With pine shavings, the problem isn't as clear cut. Pine shavings emit similar volatile compounds as cedar, but the risks aren't clear. It is thought that heat treating pine shavings may reduce the levels of aromatic hydrocarbons that have been implicated as a potential concern, so that products such as kiln dried pine are safe (many pet products are heat treated).

Some people think it can cause liver damage over time. Some people say if you open the bag and leave it out for a few days before using it that it will "air it out". I just choose not to use it when there are 100% safe alternatives like Carefresh and fleece.

Even Guinea Lynx (my number 1 trusted source of all of my guinea pig information) says:

"PINE SHAVINGS

In the U.S. dried pine shavings are an economical, convenient, and useful bedding material for your guinea pigs. Small bags are sold in most stores that sell pet supplies. Farm supply stores sell a huge bag very reasonably ($5 to $6). This 3.25 cu. ft. compressed bale yields about 9.75 cu. ft. when decompressed.

All bedding materials have pros and cons. Some cavy owners object to pine, believing that the shavings' volatile oils may harm the liver when used long term or the respiratory system. Should you have any concerns, opening the bag and dumping a third or so of the shavings into a large open container for several days will allow the volatile oils to dissipate.

The weaker the pine smell, the fewer volatile oils will be present. Be sure that any pine shavings you purchase are dry. If the shavings in the bag are wet (stored outside in the rain), return them to the store. Any wet bedding is subject to mold.

Pros:
Low cost
Availability
Efficacy

Cons:
Sticks to towels and fleece.
Not as soft as paper products
Concern with possible respiratory and liver problems (see bedding to AVOID)"

And I read problems on the Guinea Lynx forum all the time of people having problems with URIs and a lot of the time, they're on kd pine bedding.

the pine stuff I get doesnt have much of a smell at all, but yeah there are other alternatives. I might have to read up some more about this

I think it's safe the majority of the time, but certain pigs might be really sensitive to it or certain batches of the pine might be more toxic than others.

Pine is safe for chins, but I think it's different with the guinea pigs. They spend their entire day on the bedding with their noses very close to it. Chins spend most of their day on a shelf or in a fleece tube. So if there's a possibility of the pine producing a respiratory or liver problem, I think the guinea pigs would be more at risk.

But I'm a huge fan of fleece for guinea pigs. They look so comfy on it, and it's easy to clean if you can find the right absorbent material to put under it.

So my questions are: can guinea pigs chew the same kind of wood as a chinchilla? Should a guinea pigs teeth not touch or be overly large in anyway? And then what can we do about his nails? What's the proper way to cut them and with what?

My guinea pigs are not interesred in chewing toys AT ALL. I assume they can chew chinchilla's though.
I clip my pigs' nails regularly with a big clipper (for human), it works well .

That's what I use, too. Large (human) toe nail clippers. I tried using the small animal clippers but they weren't sharp enough.

I find the only interest the guinea pig has in chew toys are to bury them...so I started digging them up to annoy him/interest him.

So far she seems to have gone back on giving him to me since she never brought him over. And no matter what she keeps being stubborn about the hay thing so at this moment Im kinda at a point of "what the heck more do you want me to do?" since she wont listen to me...Shes a very frustrating person recently. Not sure if she thinks because I dont know what Im talking about. She did this with fish recently too...

She also tried to get him a ball which I told her absolutly not to. I do know guinea pig's backs are very sensitive to arching in anyway and should not be in a wheel or a ball. I hope she just decides to give him away because she is not fit to take care of him at all...

Guinea pigs can very easily break their backs in one of those stupid things! I really wish pet stores would stop selling the large balls altogether. There are no animals that the larger balls are good for!

Hay is extremely important. He NEEDS hay. Try to get her to give him to you ASAP. It seems that she absolutely doesn't care about him whatsoever.

Yeah, make sure the guinea pigs have unlimited supply of hay, it is very important.

My guinea pigs LOVE hay, one of them loves hay more than anything else, I believe he prefers hay than fresh veggies. It is also important to have a balanced diet. My guinea pig, that passed away 3 months ago, loved fresh veggies but ate less hay, so sometimes he had really soft and mushy poops, so i cut down fresh veggies and gave him just hay, then the poops became normal again.

If this poor guy isn't even getting hay, I doubt he's even getting any kinds of veggies either. And if he's being fed crappy pellets, he could easily get scurvy.

Back