Grrrr.... pulling up fleece liners???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

We've had our chin for about a month now, for the first few weeks she didn't touch the fleece but now she has gotten into the habit of pulling it up and getting under it constantly. She makes a disaster area of her cage every day, spills her food out, etc.. I bought another chin chiller to try to keep the corners down but she pulls up wherever she can and it ends up moving even the chillers, her house, the litter pan.

What can I do? I want a bigger heavier house - I know that will help on that corner but not sure it would fix the problem completely. Is there any method to fix this?? Velcro? Ties? Not sure how I would tie it down with the bass pan in there.

she was just getting under it - and she would stay under there. Problem is it knocks over everything in the cage and makes a big mess and then she has no food because she won't really eat it off the ground mixed with hay and poop!

I thought I solved the problem for a while. I was putting her fleece liners down (made by chin chic) and then over that I put a larger piece of fleece tucked in and under the bass pan. It was a royal pain to tuck it in all the way around the cage but it seemed to work.... Until this week. Now she's figured if she tugs at it hard enough (and it does require serious tugging) she can get it up. She gets under it but I am not sure she can find her way out because all other spots are still tucked in. So I coax her out and tuck it back in only for her to do it again. Driving me crazy!!! :crazy:

Mine gets under his fleece too. I don't know why he likes it under there, but whatever makes him happy! I have a double level Ferret Nation and he only does it up top, so I don't really mind. Pee and poop get on the Bass pan, but I clean it weekly anyway, so it's not a big deal. His food bowl is in one of those ledges from Whimsy with a hole cut in it for the bowl to sit down in, so he doesn't spill it. You might try getting something like that so if your chin does pull up the fleece, the food is up high and won't get spilled. Not sure about the litter pan though as I don't use one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try magnets, but your chin sounds pretty determined. Maybe try getting a wall mounted food dish to avoid spillage. I have a feeling no matter what you try to do to stop them getting under the fleece, they'll just keep trying.

Yup, she's a stubborn little thing! It just worries me because she stays under there forever, shouldn't she be running around more?? I am afraid she's going to overheat or get squished under a chin chiller or something.

I just tuck it all around the bass pans and that works for my chins, but you might try pulling the liner through the bars in a few spots and attaching the black binder clips as suggested above, but if your chin really pulls that hard they might even come off. For future reference you could see if there is a way to make liners with little ties sewn in that you could tie around the bars. I haven't ever needed that but if it is a really big problem, it might not be too hard to add on.

Back