Grooming Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it actually dirty and matted fur or are they tufts that are just stuck amidst all the dense live fur?

If it's just tufts that need to be removed, you can remove them by combing your chinchilla with a chin grooming comb. A size #3 or #4 would work fine for a rough grooming.

If it's actually a dirty matted clump, you can either cut it out or pull it out (since chins will slip their fur when it is pulled).

In my opinion cutting does not remove all the matted fur and allow for normal fur growth, but pulling the matted fur out will allow the new fur to grow in right.

In my opinion cutting does not remove all the matted fur and allow for normal fur growth, but pulling the matted fur out will allow the new fur to grow in right.

JAGS is 100% correct. I cut a rescues horrible mats out, and her hair never grew back fully, even 2 years later. If you pull them out, new beautiful hair grows back in 3 months or a little more.

I pull too, Gumby has matted fur around his bum area for some reason, I just pull it out when I see it, he hates me for doing so and deliberately hides his backside from me, its so cute.

I agree, once Kokomo finally recovered enough from his broken leg/surgery (which after a couple months left some pretty nasty matted areas, since we couldn't bathe him), we did a few rounds of thorough combing, and it's growing back in beautifully. Unfortunately you can still tell which area was shaved for the surgery - not sure if it'll ever quite blend in.

Cutting would just be scary to me! I used to groom ( still do just limited ) dogs and it's easy enough to cut one of them cutting mats out let along a chins super thin skin and sporadic jumps!

Sometimes my breeding females get these little mat clumps, usually on their rear, and I either comb them out or just grab a small part carefully and pluck it out.

Back