Greasy Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
Do any of you have chins that don't dust well? I've got one girl-right from day one-that is a horrible dust bather. I use blue cloud on her every other day and she still looks soo greasy around the face and neck. Anybody have any thoughts to impove this? I think her problem is she takes a couple of rolls and that is it.

Jessica

I don't have this problem but could you use an unscented wipe around her neck and face a couple of times and then let her bathe, maybe it is really built up there and she needs a little help? You could also rub in some dust yourself to make sure she gets a good coating. I have read that some members have chins that look greasy no matter what they do, so maybe this is the case with your girl :/.

I don't really know how to answer this, I know that is a good dust bath. Mine are like OCD'ers (lol) when taking their dust bath. But maybe you can also try a different dust. There's another brand that is suppose to really good, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, sorry. Maybe someone else can tell you the name.

Or just a thought, when she is in there, can you fit your hand in the dust container and rub the dust on her also?

Good luck,
Jean

I have one that looks greasy around his eyes and under his ears. I comb those areas when he starts to get greasy and it helps.

Some of my rescues are not very good at dust bathing either. I rub the dust into them, and that seems to help a lot. Keeping the dust bath in the cage for about 20 mintues while you leave the room seems to help as well- some are just shy ;-)

I have one chin that will not take a good dust bath with me in the room. She will roll one time then jump out and watch me. So I leave the dust pan in there and leave the room. After about 10 minutes I go back in and remove the dust bath. There was one time we had a kit that would not dust. We would have to rub dust into his fur to get him clean. He would then popcorn and shake the excess dust off.

I have one who does half a roll on one side then quits, she is old fat and lazy. Anyway I usually sprinkly dust on her and then rub my hand around so it gets into the fur. It works pretty welll but not as well as a good dusting they can do themselves..

As the others have said, I would rub some dust into her fur to help out the areas she is not getting to well enough.

Latest posts

Back