Gravity Feeders?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinwawa

Besotted Chinchilla Lover
I feed my chins in heavy ceramic food dishes. Sometimes bedding and/or poo gets in the dishes. I have purchased those dishes with the curved over part and that keeps almost all of the bedding out.

I was wondering if it is ok to use metal gravity feeders for chinchillas? Would it be safe to load a feeder that has a cover with pellets and let the chin feed on that by itself?

I didn't notice anyone on CnH doing that in cage pictures. That is why I am asking.

Thank you!

Yes, you can use feeders like that. We have them and fill them every night or every other night. Chins can be allowed to free feed as they always need food to be going through their systems to keep it working correctly. They do sometimes spill a-lot, we just don't fill the feeders of the spillers full every night. lol Pet owners do not seem to use them much, but most breeders do.

I use them, too. My only problem with them has to do with my pellet diggers. they can empty a feeder in minutes. Like mentioned above, you just don't fill the feeder as full for chins who dig.

i use them. they work great. you just hook them o the cage, or in my case screw them into the way.

I use gravity feeders also. Mine are a hay/pellet combo feeder and I also have some custom-made combo feeders with the screen at the bottom for the fines to fall through.

I have a few of these bin feeders and with the diggers, I tend to fill out their pellets during the day than the night, since they are not as hyper during the day, and they will be able to eat more pellets than if I fill them in the night since they are more calm.

Back