grabbing Kahlua by the tail (prevent a fight) and causing shock or seizure?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
My chinchilla (Kahlua) is 9 years old (soon to be 10) and he's got a friend in a separate cage besides him. Yesterday I opened both their cage doors in order to feed them, and Kahlua and the other chinnie were kinda picking at each other, but when Kahlua decided to jump on the other chinnie, I grabbed him by the tail to separate them. I then put him on my shoulder, walked around a bit to make sure he was calm, and then I noticed him kinda forcing himself to bend his head towards his tummy. At some point he even put both his front paws over his nose, then over his eyes then his head, still beinding his head towards his tummy....He looked so weird and tense, with his eyes closed...

I tried putting him back correctly on me (I didn't force him, I simply took him gently and put him back on my belly) and he layed flat on me for a couple seconds (he's usually so eager to jump off me and run everywhere, he NEVER lays still on me) after that little weird episode, he just became really slow, and started shaking from time to time. (this is all in the same short 15 minutes)

I put him down on the floor so I could check his reaction, he didn't even hop from place to place, he simply walked awkwardly... I kept him on me for a little while, I tried pressing gently on his tights and cheeks and butt but nothing really seemed to be triggering a reaction, so nothing should be broken or wounded (I checked the cheeks because he was grinding his teeth a bit, and checked his tights and legs because they got really tense).

I'm not quite sure what happened and why he acted like this....I know that when he was face to face with my other chinnie, Kahlua had his mouth open and was the one kinda picking at the other one....he's also the one who jumped on the other chinnie, so I don't know if he got scared when I grabbed him, or if I grabbed him in a bad way and sprained a muscle..... I've seen him go to his food and eat hay, but he didn't seem to want to jump on his shelves. He also didn't eat the apple tree branch he usually adores, he seemed to examine it, take it to his mouth without biting it, and then letting go of it.

I've checked a video on youtube and it seems he might've had a seizure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nnIqZhaEs
after the chinchilla on that video turns its head towards the camera, he starts getting tense kinda like Kahlua did, and bending his head down kinda like Kahlua did....so I guess it was a seizure? what do you guys think? Kahlua is fine now, he eats, he stands tall with his ears tall, he eats treats and all.

My question is mostly what to check for, do you guys think I should check for something in particular in the following days? Could the stress of the small fight with Pedro and/or me grabbing him would've triggered stress that would've triggered the reaction/seizure he had?

Back