Good pairing for brown velvet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

When I look at pictures from brown velvet I find so many different shades. I wanted to know what are your criteria to form a pair that will end up end producing the darkest brown velvet.

Do you find that the black velvet that darkens early in life will produce darker brown velvet? I've seen so really dark pairs (dark beige and dark BV) will sometimes produce very pale brown velvet. So their adult phenotype would not be a good indicator then. What is? Is it just a game of trying the male on different females and to pick the good one? Is there an indicator that could help me choose a pair and have good results?

ALso can they really darken that much growing up? Can a pale kit end up really dark much like tans who change shade a lot?

I guess I have never produced a very pale brown velvet.. Mine have been clearly brown velvets from day 1. The bst thing to do is to pick two animals that complemnent each other in general. Color is the very last thing to consider..... It really is a matching game of moving chinchillas around until they are paired properly

So you've never noticed a difference in pairs that will produce dark brown velvet?

Brown velvets are TOV and should be dark so I guess I am not understanding what you are asking The TOV gives them a dark veil if they don't have the veil they are not TOV I have never had a pale TOV beige born here. the trouble with just looking at pictures is the flash will wash out the animal.

To produce a first generation brown velvet I would pair a nicely veiled beige to a dark black velvet. The "trick" I guess is to make sure both animals are well veiled in addition to their other complimenting features. How dark the color is would be the last thing I consider. As long as the veiling goes through all the way, the animal is a proper TOV.

If you have a brown velvet that you want to make darker, pair it like you would a regular black velvet, to an animal that is dark with nice veiling. Just don't forget the other qualities in your animals that need to compliment each other.

Not all brown velvets will be the same shade or have the same level of veiling or white belly. They won't all turn darker over the years, it depends on the genetics thrown by what you pair together. You can have two extra dark animals produce a "pale" brown velvet and two lighter animals produce a dark one.

So nothing accumulative like the ebony? Just a matter of finding which one throws the darkest. I'm already working on that with my tans, so I fully understand how it works. I definitely take first into consideration their qualities and make sure they complement each other, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything 'in theory' abour brown velvet. I have a really nice dark beige girl that did great at 2 shows, so I'll eventually find a match for her.
Thanks a lot!

Wow it did come out funny loll, didn't mean ebony was accumulative actually in the genetic way but thanks for the reminder.

Tabitha, when you mention first generation, do you take that brown and go another generation with a BV?

By "an animal that is dark with nice veiling" I mean a standard. Guess I missed that in my first post.

I don't cross TOV to TOV because they rarely if ever compliment each other and you deal with the lethal factor so you get 25% less kits from the pair. A brown velvet to a black velvet is TOV to TOV.

Gosh I just ran to the computer to correct that TOv to TOV thing, thanks, not fullly awake tonight and a bit ashamed loll.... :wacko: I keep putting my feet in my mouth tonight! Too late to edit sorry.

Last edited:
Back