Good First Car?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My older sister and younger brother both had Geos for their first cars and those things just will not die.

That's because they're Toyotas. :D (Well, they came from the NUMMI plant in Calfornia that was a joint venture between GM and Toyota. The Geo Prism is rebadged version of the Corolla, with a few minor difference.)

If that was my budget I would definately get a honda. i do have a mazda3 right now so a used one of those would be good too - I love my 3. My first 3 cars were a honda crx, a honda accord (I learned how to drive a stick because i wanted that car so bad) and then a civc si. LOVED them. I drove my 3 in this snowy mess we got this week and it did great.

I've had two Ford Tauruses one '96 and the one I have now is a '99. I got them used as hand-me-downs from my folks. They were ok, but I pretty much have been dealing with problems constantly. They get me from point A to point B but it's always been understood that they are elderly and not going to last long when I inherited them. My first one lost heat for most of one winter and the alternator died on both of them etc. The first one was in the early 100's when we sold it for parts (it wouldn't have lasted much longer) and my current one has 123 miles on it.

So, they work but if you have the money I'd say don't get an old Ford Taurus. Mine failed inspection this year and is now having other problems. THOUGH I see so many Fords out there, so some models and years may be really good cars. I just don't know which ones.

A lot with any car depends on the care it was given to begin with. Any car is capable of running for a pretty long time if maintained properly. And some people just get lucky with their vehicles. Going used is always hit or miss, I think, because a lot of the time you don't know what the car went through beforehand.

I still have my first car that my parents bought me a 2001 Silver Volkswagon Beatle..What I always wanted, even the color (my parents are awesome like that). I love it and I haven't had any major problems with it. I get pretty good gas mileage. I'm like you, I don't drive a lot of places except to work and around town. With very few road trip exceptions.

My parents bought it for my 16th birthday which was 5 years ago. It was $13,000 pre-owned.

Back