Good chin pen?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bar spacing on that is the same bar spacing as a normal dog kennel and I know people on here have said that there chins slipped right out of a dog kennel no problem. If you wanted to modify the bar spacing too then I think it would be a great pen! I've used them when I had my bunnies and I loved them! They are nice and big, easy to move around and it gives them plenty of space to roam!

I recently purchased this play pen : http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767 and I like it a lot. I got this to go with it http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751770 and instead of putting it on the bottom I put it on the top as a roof. I really like this set up because I have added shelves for them to jump onto so not only do they have the space to run around they also have some space to go up, which they love! With the large door on the front if you had the space you could connect two play pens together to give them even more room to play!

I hope this helped!
Ashley

Another option to modifying any of these play pens is to buy cardboard boards (really big ones, about 2 X 4 ft), duck tape the boards together in an accordian fashion and use the playpen to support the boards up. I only taped mine on the outside side of the cardboard panels.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313&highlight=cardboard+playpen

I would definitely take a look at the linked thread. I use those cardboard panels and it works pretty well if you tape them nicely together. Chins can't ninja climb their way out of the pen/jump over them since the cardboard panels don't have any holes in them. The only thing you do need to worry is if your chin will be able to chew it's way out, but the metal playpen will help defend against that. But, as always, you should always be watching your chin during playtime.

Another option to modifying any of these play pens is to buy cardboard boards (really big ones, about 2 X 4 ft), duck tape the boards together in an accordian fashion and use the playpen to support the boards up. I only taped mine on the outside side of the cardboard panels.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313&highlight=cardboard+playpen

I would definitely take a look at the linked thread. I use those cardboard panels and it works pretty well if you tape them nicely together. Chins can't ninja climb their way out of the pen/jump over them since the cardboard panels don't have any holes in them. The only thing you do need to worry is if your chin will be able to chew it's way out, but the metal playpen will help defend against that. But, as always, you should always be watching your chin during playtime.

Wow, thank you for this link. A cardboard version would certainly be cheaper. I think I'll just try that instead. :)

I use a cardboard playpen for my hedgie but he's able to get under it, especially when I use it outside. I don't know if chins are capable of it, but if they are, you can always weight it. That's what I had to do

One other reason I don't know if you would want to purchase it is I thought zinc was bad for chins?

I've been using a cardboard playpen for years now.
My biys are big jumpers and I've had to replace most of the 4' panels with 6' panels. So in the end it cost me a lot since i've basically had to make it twice. I do recommend buying more panels than you need because you will have to replace some over time. Make sure to buy strapping or reinforced tape - and a LOT of it.

after all that've put into my cardboard pens I'm wishing I had invested in marshal's playpens and zip tied one on top of the other - someone here did that and it looked great and you could see in and out of the playpen. I hate that I can't see in or out of the cardboard. when I'm in there I'm cut off from my husband (not always a bad thing). and if I need to step out for a second I can't see what's going on. If I could see in, I could keep an eye on them even when I'm not in the pen and then they would get more play time.

Back