Goji Berry Confusion

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacoby

I've gone back and researched the threads where you have talked about this in the past and frankly I'm more confused then when I started. Some are very pro and others very anti goji berries. Most of the threads dated from 2012 and back. I just wanted to see what your thoughts were of them right now? I read some good things, but honestly there is something in me telling me to stay away. Am I right to be concerned? I've never used them I want to know which way to go. Thanks :)

I've heard of many people using them without any problems at all for a treat. A treat means that a chin will get ONE a day. Just a small amount. It's up to you what you want to do with that. Some people will give a very occasional fruit treat, some people opt to give the blander treats like rosehips or shredded wheat. The most important thing with any treat is to remember that they must be given in very strict moderation...one treat a day or no treats at all.

I don't give any treats anymore other than apple twigs. My chins don't know the difference. As for goji berries, I received some awhile ago as a sample and decided to give all my chins one. I had one chin bloat the same night after giving the goji berry.

Thanks Stackie, I thought I remembered reading of that happening to one of you. I just couldn't find it again. I don't think the risk is worth it. I would be devastated. With other safer options out there we will stick to those.

Chins don't need treats, people need to give treats. If you deal with bloat one time, it will put the brakes on treat giving, it just wont be worth it.

Back