Giving Chins as Christmas Gifts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg. "Surprise!!! I hope you have the money, patience and knowledge to carE this! Awe!" if I was on the receiving end of the gift exchange Inwould not be happy after I read the care. I took a year and a half of researching and deciding before I made the commitment. They live 20 years it's like putting a baby In a box and giving it to some one. Although, as much as you want to loose it--- I would just calmly explain that babies are not all they're cracked up to be and that chins are a HUGE commitment and for this reason it would be best to make the person a card and offer to bring them there. Sounds like it would be sort of a waste of time for you since you are busier.

This year has been REALLY bad. I have gotten so many emails from people and daily phone calls. They don't want to give a chin a home, they want BABIES. They want freshly weaned little babies that are cute that they can surprise their four year old daughter with on Christmas morning.

Wow. Just wow. :no:

(A chin is a family member or at least should be one in any household!!)

Totally agree! I wish everyone saw it that way.

I've only had 2 kits born this fall THANK GOD! I won't sell a chin to someone to "surprise" anyone, whether it's Christmas, or a birthday. Adopting or buying a pet is a huge responsibility and commitment that the person receiving the pet should be well aware of. Animals are to often treated as disposable commodities. I say close down if you can during December. Stress is not good for anyone!!

Amen! :thumbsup:

I will accept certain customers that want chinchillas as "gifts". If I have a parent contacting me that wants to get a chinchilla as a pet for the family and Christmas is the excuse they are using, then I don't have a problem working with them. It's usually very easy to tell these customers, as they tell me all about their family and how much research they've done and why a chinchilla would be a good fit for them. :)

I will also talk to anyone that is getting a chinchilla as a gift for someone that is involved in the conversation. Giving a chinchilla is not a problem, when that chinchilla is not a surprise and is expected from the party receiving it.

Lastly what I will usually do for anyone interested in giving their children a chinchilla as a family pet gift, is to have them create a coupon that can be opened on actual Christmas day, and then schedule a time after Christmas for them to come and pick out the chin they want. That works for birthdays as well.

Ultimately though I make sure that the parents / girlfriend / boyfriend / spouse are aware of the care of a chinchilla and are involved in the process and want this pet too, not just who will ultimately end up with the chinchilla.

Cheryl

Little off-topic, more on the side of letting "kids" have chins. I'm 16, and 3/4 of the pets in my signature are 100% my responsibility. Maggie is the family's dog, and although my mom constantly complains about her, she secretly loves her and loves having an excuse to get out of the house and go for a walk :) Bella, Chelsea and Lilo were month-long battles for me. I have always loved rodents.. my parents, not so much. I've had hamsters, guinea pigs and gerbils since I was around 6 or 7 years old, the chinnies are new to me! My parents agreed on Bella and the chins as long as I would be the one cleaning the cages and caring for them. Obviously that was not much of a problem for me. As opposed to my friends rooms, with TVs and laptops and modern couches and whatnot, I'm surrounded by my rodent girls! People always look at me a little crazy when they walk in and see a bed surrounded by three huge cages. I always tell them it's worth it!

I got my chinchilla on Christmas Eve as a Christmas present year 2005 when he was just 2 months old, I was 10 years old. Well guess what, it was the BEST THING THATS EVER HAPPENED to me, besides getting my dog. Yes, I knew nothing- nothing at all about chinchillas whatsoever, as an animal lover and vegan, I was excited and didn't know how to handle him and such. They gave me a 3 story huge cage, not as big as the Ferret Nation, food, bedding, hay, a waterbottle, etc. They just told me that he couldn't be in the heat and temperatures had to be cool. I named him Shadow because of his color and the movie that came out about around christmas about some sled dogs, and his middle name is Noel, which simply means Christmas. He was extremely gentle, and they chose him because of his temperament. 6 years later, he's still my spoiled baby. Amazingly he's moved over 4 times with me on an airplane, has his own passport, never been to the vet except to get a checkup to ride on the plane, and never has had any health problems. I was young, and honestly I took care of him by myself. Yes, he was a Christmas gift, and surprise. Yes, I knew nothing at all or what a chinchilla was, and he was still a baby. Honestly, he's the best gift I've ever got and I wouldn't trade the world for him, so I don't have any problems with chinchillas being Christmas presents. But I do think the age where chinchillas can be given as presents are at least 10 year olds, because my younger sister was young and she didn't care nor took care of him.

Most of my customers are adults wanting chins, but at Christmas I do get more parents wanting the chinchilla as a gift for their child. I list on my site that they are not suitable for young children and that the recommended age is 12 years and above. Also that this is a LONG TERM COMMITTMENT, but I will still get parents bringing in a younger child. It does depend on the individual child's temperment and how responsible they are too. I always go over with the parents about their delicate rib cage, care, heat stroke, how long they can live and make sure they agree that the pet is their pet too. Also that they agree to be the primary person caring or supervising for the chinchilla and that if the child loses interest, gets busy with school or when they eventually go away to college that the parents are willing to be the only care giver if needed. If a parent tells me that their child is kind and responsbile and has researched chinchillas, I am fine with them suprising their child as long as the parents have done their research on the care too, have planned ahead of time and have everything they need or are in the process of getting everything they need. Most of the time, the parents bring the child in to pick the chinchilla out themselves. I have had 4 customers return the chinchillas that they got for their child with reasons like they are having a family financial crisis and had to move where they can't have pets, they have developed an eye allergy or the child has just lost interest now that they are older; driving, dating, etc. That is 4 customers out of hundreds though. Most of the time one of the parents, if not both, are just as excited about having the chinchilla as the child. I don't beat around the bush about the care/responsibility involved or the dangers of heat, etc. I am very blunt and straight forward when asking them questions; getting verbal committments. Is that any kind of guarantee? Absolutely not and there are always going to be those people who do not take the committment seriously. I am definitely against it being a total suprise and would not sell a chinchilla for a situation like that.

I would never give a chinchilla as a gift unless I knew this person was already very interested and had been doing their research. I'd also make sure they were ready for a serious commitment. In which case it'd be more of a, "Hey I heard you were interested in chinchillas. If you want I can help you out financially with purchasing one and getting you started."

I see what all of you people are saying and agree full-heartedly. I want to ask for a chin for christas from my parents. I am almost 16 and I am willing to pay for half of the inicial cost and most of the supplies. Any comments That uwould like me to hear?
Happy holidays!

I agree with alot of the posts about if they are informed it is ok, but my view is anyone can buy a chin anytime of the year and if they haven't researched and/or can't wait then it is best they not get one at any time of the year because it's possible/probable they won't research afterwards, but there are a few that do.

I'd be scared to give any animal as a surprise! Especially not one as complicated as chinchillas..

If someone wants to give a chin as a gift no matter what the circumstances I would MUCH rather them come to a breeder than go to a petstore. If denied by a breeder there is a good chance that is just what some would do cause I guarantee that Petsmart, Petco, etc. doesn't talk to potential buyers about stuff like we do and they could care less what the purpose/reason is for the purchase. They just want people to buy period. I understand us wanting the best possible homes for our guys and I do too but I guess in some situations we have to feel out each individual situation and figure out the best possible outcome for all involved.

If someone wants to give a chin as a gift no matter what the circumstances I would MUCH rather them come to a breeder than go to a petstore.
This. And as Christmas season approaches again the best I can do is educate people. If I say no they will go somewhere else. I don't have enough chins available to sell to everyone that contacts me but I do try to chat them up and at least get them educated before they go buy somewhere else. :))

But there is a very large group of irresponsible people, or maybe they are all in my area, lol. I have a rescue female on craigslist. I am asking 100 for her, cage, dust house, everything you need... and I am already getting people telling my I've ruined christmas cause I won't take 50 and hold till christmas for a 8 yr old child. I always explain why I have adoption fees and such but it all boils down to people want what they want free. I have 250 in this chin due to fungus and a horrible eye infection and when told that they all replied I shouldn't have bothered cause its a rodent! I never allow chins as gifts unless the person getting the chin comes along to pick it out. There are no pet stores in over 50 miles that carry cins so its me or anyone who happens to be on craigslist when they are looking.

But there is a very large group of irresponsible people, or maybe they are all in my area, lol. I have a rescue female on craigslist. I am asking 100 for her, cage, dust house, everything you need... and I am already getting people telling my I've ruined christmas cause I won't take 50 and hold till christmas for a 8 yr old child. I always explain why I have adoption fees and such but it all boils down to people want what they want free. I have 250 in this chin due to fungus and a horrible eye infection and when told that they all replied I shouldn't have bothered cause its a rodent!

These types are a breed all their own! They usually don't bother me. I just either ignore or roll my eyes at these types. Try not to let them get to ya!
:)

You ruined Christmas, too? We must be twins! I've been ruining the holidays for people for years for various reasons. Once I wouldn't sell a chin for a pet for a five year old and the mother called every single person having anything to do with chins in the entire state and told them how awful I am for not selling her a chin for her small child. Awesome.

Sounds like that mom had some other issues going on besides trying to by a chinchilla for a five year old. People can be driven to do the craziest things.

I think ANY child getting a pet should have to earn the money for that pet, other wise they are less likely to respect its value. I remember saving up for my first chinchilla at age 14. It took me 6 months and I took my time finding the perfect guy. He was the best pet I have ever owned. Now for my 15th bday my mom got me a surprise chinchilla to be his friend. Not only was it a female, but she was scruffy, nervous, wild and died of a heart attack, it was slow and dreadful, at the age of 8 months.

I think any gift animal is a bad idea but at the least the person should pick out their own pet, and for gifts I would say age 16+. Any younger and they need to prove responsiblity by saving their own money and doing their own research!

I would love to get a small Chin only because I could train it easier . If it's trained and loving but older then I find no problem in it . Honestly I think it's a good idea for them to come pick it out . I would only gve them to the older kids . Someone who can take care of it .

Back