girl chin vs boy chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have better experiences with males of most every animal. They just seem to like me more. Females are always very off-standish. I had one female holland lop that was affectionate towards me, but it was nothing compared to how much she loved on my boyfriend.

As I understand it, each has their own little kinks and it's a matter of what you prefer. I have boys and I'm much happier with the occasional hair ring check than the occasional spraying. I'm all about the boys- although if a cutie girl showed up I sure wouldn't turn her away!

A couple years back I heard about a study showing that amles bonded more with female humans and vice versa. But My girl chin Ellie has bonded with me and NO ONE else. She won't let anyone else touch her. I don't know if it's that she was owned by three other men until me or what. And about a year ago I fell in love with a female dog at the shelter, I mean it was meant to be, I never got her and it still hurts me that I know how much we were meant to be. So think it's just the animal.

I get more girls here than anything, and have to say I've had some really sweet ones, but in all honesty the males are a bit less cranky, but pet wise, I really can't choose. Each has their own personalities, and I do have one gender confused male that acts just like a PMSing Diva!

I have both boys and girls chins and I have not noticed a temperment difference between them. What I can say is I have much luck gettin the girl chins to bond with a cage mate but not the boy chins BUT this could be due to the fact they share the same room and the boys could get agitated when the girls come into heat.

I also had 2 cats that were brothers and they were together for 10 years before one had to be put to sleep, they loved each other very much and bonded great.

I know some people worry about spraying with females but I don't see that happen with my girls hardly at all.

I have three boys and two of them are very protective of their cages. So we do everything three times a night but don't mind because each addition was truly wanted. I love my boys but I do wish they liked each other so they'd have a cuddle partner but they are all happy and are loved. I only know of one failed intro with girls.

I've been to two shows and my breeders twice. I've never seen a girl spray and a stranger in the barn or scared chinchillas at a show would seem more likely too. I really think if you get an older girls who's tame you'd never have to worry about this.

Personally I perfer the boys. Mine seem to want to play and run around all the time, where as the females can be like "what are you doing in MY cage?" I open the boys cage they're out playing, I open the girls cages, nothing happends.

As far as spraying goes, the only one who sprays me is the one who is blind. I think she has permanent PMS. Once I pick her up shes fine, out of the cage- fine, but in the cage with my hand offering her a treat/stick get ready for a bite or shower. It has been that way since day one. She doesnt run from me, sometimes wil even seek me out if Im giving a cage mate a scritchy. She just has to make all the moves.

I prefer the girls. I have 5 chins. Mom and dad and 3 babies, not so much anymore, one is 3, one is 1 1/2, and the other is 4 months. The girls seem to love to be cuddled and played with, however the boys seem to be very terriatorial. Even if the cat walks by their cage they will shake the cage and bark at the cat. Its funny, but the girls are definately more social.

Tribble (male) is very friendly towards me. He loves scritches and when I come home from school he loves to be held.

Chichi and Tia, on the other hand, don't really like to be touched or held. Scritches maybe once in a great blue moon. Chichi was kinda cranky from the get go and I think Tia is learning from mom. LOL. It could also be beacuse Tribble is on his own and he bonded to us.

BTW, not all girl chins spray, out of my three only one does, and she's not the crankiest...but when she's in her mood, watch it.

growing up, we always had male pets - dogs, cats, gerbils, hamster..... so i'm partial to males, and i'd really like to have a mini bachelor family of 3 male chins some day.

I have 3 boys and 2 girls, in 5 separate cages. I don't know that I prefer one gender over the other...each chin has it's own temperament that makes it special and so lovable!

My crankiest chin is my male Ham, the most active is my female Sadie, and the most anxious is my male Snoops.

Dre (female) and Chicken (her son) are the calmest and the best with strangers. None of my girls have ever sprayed me, by the way, and they are all extremely territorial! Hence 5 separate cages..

I have not noticed a different in the sexes, I have equally cuddly (and not-so-cuddly) girls and boys.

well lets see my male dog loves me
my male fighting fish doesnt like me
and my female chinchilla ive had for 6 days is warming up

Back