Gift suggestions needed for mom to be

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki

A college friend of mine who lives in AZ (i live in PA) is expecting her first child at the end of August, a boy. I'm putting together a 'baby shower' gift pack to send out to her & I would like to include some items for herself. Usually people just buy for the baby & that's easy to pick things out for. But I don't have kids and have no clue what a new mom would want or could find useful. It could be anything that she could use now, or after the pregnancy, something that is just for her, or something that helps her as a new mom, something she wouldn't have thought of and so on....
The only thing I could think of is maybe some foot pampering items. I figure her feet are probably sore. But it was pointed out to me today that the problem with that is she probably can't really reach her feet right now: ) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I always give first-time moms a "starter basket" with all of the basics. Some examples - baby nail clippers, bottle brush, bottle rack for the dishwasher, pacifier clip, bulb syringe, baby-sized hangers, baby thermometer, etc. All of these things are fairly light for shipping as well.

All of my friends have loved the baskets. I find new moms get TONS of baby clothes but not enough of the things they really need.

DUH - it would help if I actually read your post. Burt's Bees makes some great pregnancy creams/lotions that are nice.

Hi Nicki.
Does she plan on nursing? If so, there are nursing pads from Motherhood Maternity called LilyPadz. They're reusable, washable, silicone and AWESOME! Instead of using the ones you constantly soak through and throw away, these make a barrier where you don't leak. (Not for use at night though...) http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=949900388&MasterCategory_Id=MC29
Something else that came in very handy when I had mine were closet seperators. Then you can divide the clothes by size. (It is SOOO disappointing when you realize you forgot about something and your baby is too big for it already!) http://www.onestepahead.com/pwr/pro...Buddies/p/07461-Size-It-Closet-Organizer.html
As a funny - I've given new moms a small basket including: ear plugs, tylenol, a bottle of wine (if they're nursing they can keep it for later), a funny book (http://www.gagagoods.com/The-Three-Martini-Playdate-A-Practical-Guide-to-Happy-Parenting-p-768.html), and chocolate!

You could get one of those soothing eye masks that you can heat up or put in the freezer, I know some people on Etsy make them too (I love buying on Etsy lol!)
like this..
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23413212

I know sellers on Etsy also make the nursing pads. And some make them with the waterproof layer.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26538476

If the new mom has a husband/boyfriend, then you could still get foot things as they could help with that if she can't get to her own feet very well.

Also...if you know any places in her area that do take out/delivery for food...the first few days home for me I SO wish I had had a gift card or something because I did NOT want to cook :)

If all else fails and you can't figure out what to get for HER, perhaps a day spa would be nice? I know she might be busy, but normally those certificates don't expire for quite some time. I know that Costco sells great packages to nice spas for $80 and you get 2 $50 certificates (so you get $20) free. :))

Or maybe one of those foot bath/massager things? I know I LOVE getting my feet pampered lol, maybe she would too?

Some other things that "Google" mentioned for moms to be:
Parenting Magazine subscription
Netflix subscription (since they probably won't be going out much in the beginning)
Postnatal Workout DVDs
Stylish/Designer diaper bag
High thread count sheets
DVDs
Cute/sexy nursing blouses (not quite sure what they mean by that one...lol)
Bath items (salts, bubbles, masks, etc.)

Hope that helps! :))

When my sister was pregnant, I scoured the clearance racks for nice looking maternity clothes (some tops that look like regular clothes and could be worn even after baby) and comfortable pajamas with a stretchy waistband. She loved them and wore them a lot before and after Jeremiah was born.

Mom also got her some foot care stuff (big hit even though she couldn't reach her feet...thats what hubby and friends are for).

You could also get her a baby handprint/footprint keepsake kit thing. You can either do an ink print one or a clay impression one. That was one of my sister's favorite gifts.

Blank journal and pens. Certificate for a maid's service for the first month, mani + pedi before delivery, restaurants with delivery/pick up windows (Applebee's, Bob Evans, etc). Pretty locket for the baby's picture or a Mother's ring/necklace/bracelet.

Alot of spas have a pregnancy package. Ive heard they are pretty awesome.

Sooo many awesome ideas! I started to do the multi quote thing but that'd be too long of a post lol. Thanks so much everyone!
I love Burt's Bees products. Yes she will be nursing so I will definately add something related to that. I never thought of the spa idea, that's a great one to look into. Yes she has a husband so maybe I will still get some feet stuff. When we've talked on the phone there are a couple places she mentioned that she loves to eat at. I will try to ask what those were without being obvious & see if they have online gift cards. I love looking around on Etsy, so many cool unique items. Before I couldn't come up with ideas and not I have to narrow down :thumbsup:

SLIPPERS!!!
OK, so I have a slipper fetish, but that is something I always buy for my friends as part of their shower gift. The thicker the sole you can find, the better. At two am, she's gonna want something comfy to slip into when the baby won't go back down after his feeding because he is gassy. Also, some nursery rhyme cds so she can sing along to him and learn some songs. I like calming candles, but my nephew is extremely allergic to lavender, so that is not always a good idea. Also, a couple of soft, fuzzy robes- one for the wash, one to wear. Again, that 2 am thing.

Back