Getting a chinchilla in the next couple weeks....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinzWolf

Mischki is here!
Hi!

I'm looking at getting either one chinchilla from a breeder, or a pair of young males from a shelter (they're already bonded). I bought bedding (kiln dried aspen), food (small bag Nutriphase, until I get get some online), hay (timothy), one bundle of chew sticks for now, a house, which might not be safe, I'm trying to find out more about this "honey issue" controversy thing. I don't have a cage yet, but I'm looking at a few, but I don't know which one to get either. My house is air conditioned, and I already have a place cleared and ready for the cage, and I'm going to be building a cardboard playpen, which I found from another thread on this site.

For cages, I can only spend up to $200 with shipping. This is one I'm looking at right now. Could it fit two chinchillas?
http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=627

I bought a snak shack, which has honey, so I'd like to know everyone's opinion on that, because I wanted something that could fit both chinchillas.
So any advice, recommendations, or warnings would be greatly appreciated! :)

The common concensus on that is that the snack shacks are not good for chins, and I agree. Chinchillas do not do well at all with sugar. I try to keep sugar containing treats to a bare minimum (cheerios and some bite sized shredded wheats) and prefer to use rose hips, organic rose buds, old fashioned oats, wood chews, and an occasional supplement. I don't believe in giving fruits or veggies either, regardless of this seemingly new movement to shove everything into a chinchilla's diet but the kitchen sink.

Pellets, hay, and water has worked for ranchers forever, and they have way less problems that pet owners trying to spice up their chins diets. One of my favorite sayings is KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Don't overload with treats and junk food, stick with the basics, it's what works.

A lot of people have that cage and really like it. Another one you can check out is the ferret nation. You can get it for around the same price, and I believe, it's double the height. It's a favorite around the forum.

Two other quick questions. One about cages, what is the point of the stand with wheels? Is it just for mobility, or for height, or something else?
Also, about dust baths, what would be a good height for the container for the chinchilla to roll around in? Just curious. Thanks!

One about cages, what is the point of the stand with wheels? Is it just for mobility, or for height, or something else?

The wheels are for portability. It's really nice to be able to move that cage out and get the shavings and poo that your chin kicks out the back. It sucks to have to get down on your hands and knees and try to get under the cage. Also, chins feel safer when they are a bit off of the ground. I try not to have any cage rest directly on the floor, though with a couple runs I have no choice right now, until stands are finished for them.

Also, about dust baths, what would be a good height for the container for the chinchilla to roll around in?

I use anything from a bread pan with 3 inch sides, to a large flat square pyrex dex (for cages with multiples in it), to a metal pan with 5 inch tall sides. The important thing is to make sure they have plenty of room to flip around in the pan and get thoroughly dusted. For smaller chins, the bread pans work really well, but for my larger guys and galls it's a bit of a struggle just fitting in it, so they get the larger pans instead.

could I set the cage on a table, instead of having to buy a stand? or would a stand be easier in the long run?

thanks for all the great info and advice =D

A stand with wheels would be a lot easier down the road, but you don't have to get it right this second if money is an issue. You could also build one out of 2 x 6's. I have those here. I'm not sure how it would work to attach wheels, but the stand itself would get them off the ground.

As for the cage, I'd go with ferret penthouse I got mine on ebay for 170.00 With shipping!

here's the link for the cage -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Pentho...0?hash=item3ef0e795c9&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Is this cage sturdy, where I wouldn't have worry about fixing it up with anything, like bolts to make it sturdier? If so, that I'll most likely go with that one. You didn't have any issues with the seller, either?

Thanks so much for your help! :thumbsup:

For your cage price, I would go with a Ferret Nation. It can very comfortably fit two chinchillas an is an overall amazing cage. You can buy it here for $172 for only $6 shipping: http://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-142/630503/

I have 3 FN's and absolutely love them. They have full front opening doors that makes them easy to clean, and they are very easy to customize. You can have two levels, or you can have one big open cage.

Linz - I'm not a fan of Marshall anything anymore. Now that I realize how horribly they treat the ferrets that they breed and sell to the pet stores, I try to avoid their products if at all possible. I think the best way to hit some businesses is through their wallets.

Ok, the total comes out to $211.11 for me, because of shipping weight. I might go with it, because that includes a stand, and the other cages come out at about same price, give or take a few dollars. Thanks for your help!

How do you know if they will match it? Can I call and just ask if they match prices?

Thanks for this insight, and insider's tip. ;)

How do you know if they will match it? Can I call and just ask if they match prices?

Thanks for this insight, and insider's tip. ;)

Yes, just go to petsmart.com and find the Petsmart that is close to you. Just ask if they will do a price match for the ferret nation 142 and they may ask you where the ad is from, but you have to take the ad in with you and make sure you get the persons name that you talked to.

Linz - I'm not a fan of Marshall anything anymore. Now that I realize how horribly they treat the ferrets that they breed and sell to the pet stores, I try to avoid their products if at all possible. I think the best way to hit some businesses is through their wallets.

I definitely agree with you about hitting businesses where it hurts. I think I'm going to try 3chinowner's idea with Petsmart. I'll print out the ad and see what they say. Thanks for all your help, chinchilla lovers!! =D

I agree with the idea of getting a ferret nation, I have one and I keep each of my boys on their own floor of the cage and they have plenty of room. I've never had any problem with it, its so easy to clean, and it's VERY fun to decorate!

I would definately look into getting a Ferret Nation F142, (205) w/ shipping and handeling included. It's a durable, huge cage w/ plenty of space for your new chins! :D

Plus, you can add on, or take off, and can seperate if the two boys fight.
Honey deff isnt the best idea because the cant process it / digest it very well.
Take it back and get a wooden hidey house.

Good luck, keep us posted with pictures:)

it's sturdy, No problems with it. The putting it together part , Was awhile! an hour or a little less. But it paid off the cage is pretty wide & tall. I've had this cage for about 6 months No problems with tightening anything & nope no issues with the seller , I did take a while with the payment because the mail service went all the way to ohio , And realized the address i had put on the envelope Was wrong, Then 2 weeks later we received the news, And it took a total of 4-5 weeks for her to get it, quick shipping & she was really nice even though the late payment.

Need help!

I'm getting my chinchilla tomorrow, and I'm buying either a ferret nation or critter nation cage, and I know they have plastic bottoms. I'm going to order metal pans, but that's going to take at least a couple days to get here. Is there anything I can use to cover the plastic or replace it until the metal pans get here????

Latest posts

Back