Gathering Supplies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NOLA Chins

I have been working on an illustrated guide for gathering the supplies needed to set up a good home for a chin. It is aimed at helping our potential clients in realizing what they will need and where the items may be found. While much is most applicable to our area, it may be of value elsewhere. If you would care to take a look:

http://www.freewebs.com/nolachinrescue/gatheringsupplies.htm

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

You may want to add like Martins Cages. They do great cage work! www.martinscages.com

Also, other variets of diet, like Mazuri can now be found at most local pet stores! Or Tradition from other breeders..... That way people can find what would be best for them. I know I have a couple of customers that switched to Mazuri because they had a petco within walking distance from there where they would have to get Tradition mailed to them....

I would also mention that stuff like "shredded wheat and a lot of oats should be kept in very low moderations. If you want to give your chin a treat daily then stick with apple sticks." Without specifing how much to give someone may thing a shredded wheat or two a day is great... which isn't always the case.

i noticed you did not have flying saucers mentioned
did you just forget or do you not like them?

other than that everything looks good

and it would be very helpful for people needing a list of things

I fail to see how the chin spin is the only good choice for a chinchilla wheel. I had one and it had issues with the bearing the entire time I owned it. Now I have a saucer and my chin loves it and I have had no problems. I think you should require a chin safe wheel for adoptions, but not specifically only a chin spin.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the thoughts. I hope one response will do. As originally noted, the list is directed at our potential clients.

Martin cages: agreed that some are pretty good. We have one listed. As to food, we feed Oxbow so all chins being adopted are on it. We give info on mazuri. They are the only 2 good foods in our area. Oxbow is by far the most readily available. Petco and PetsMart both sell chins in NOLA. We would rather not patronize them.

Wheels: Of the three common wheels: QC, Eds, Carisse's, only the QC is worth the client's money. We have some of all 3. The QC's bearing problems are very few, they will be corrected with a phone call, and they should become a moot point soon with the new sealed bearings. The Ed wheel is smaller and costs more. The rescue wheel has limitations that make it not the best wheel for a household pet although it is much better than nothing in a rescue setting. If money is that much of an object, they won't be adopting from us anyway.

Saucers: experiences vary widely. If I knew a particular chin would be happy with a saucer there would be no problem but to date, most of those surrendered do not even have a wheel. All our chins can and do run on wheels. Adopters will still need to provide a chinspin wheel to adopt. It is no problem to add a link though.

As to treats and safe chews, people usually check out this page after reading Kara's Petchinchillas.info pages. Mine was kind of designed to be a companion piece to hers, but with a more local scope.

Again, thanks for the thoughts. I can see it is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
The only thing I noticed is the paragraph about bedding where you mention flannel liners. Unless you meant to say flannel, you may want to change that to fleece.

> you may want to change that to fleece

AAAAAggggg! Thank you. And you, Kara. You know how shy I am.

That page can be freely copied or linked to. I'm happy you think it of value.

Back