Fur chewing a front leg?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
One of my females appears to be fur-chewing her front forearm above the paw. It seems like a strange place to chew.

I looked it over and there is no redness or irritation, just a bare spot.

Has anyone experienced this before?

If she is chewing, it's a new behavior for her but she does tend to be a little on the nervous side. (she even squealed when I checked her over, acting like she was in for it)

I had one that did that but it turned out to be fungus. Her arm was just bare, no irritation either. A little tinactin in the dust bath and she's all better now. This may not be what your chinny has, but in my case, that is what happened.

If you can post a picture I think that would be helpful. It could be a fur slip or chewing but without seeing it it's hard to know. Is the fur where she is chewing uneven or is it just a bare spot? If she's nervous it could very well be a fur slip especially if it appeared suddenly.

I hope it's not fungus but I was thinking if treating it anyway. She doesn't have any on her face, just a bare patch on her forearm.
I can try to get a photo but will have to get help holding her.

I have a little boy here that chews the fur off all 4 paws. He keeps the fur off of them, once it gets long enough for him it chew, its gone. But he doesn't chew anywhere else

Too funny, I thought my Sam was the only one to chew his "mittens" off. He has little old man hands beneath the fur on his front paws. Doesn't chew anywhere else.

It started to look dry so I put some aloe and vitamin E on it yesterday. I'm just not sure what to make of it...

Attachments

• baldness.jpg
    baldness.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 55
  • bald spot.jpg
    bald spot.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Does she chew anywhere else? My Dex is a super chewer, and he recently chewed a spot on his arm just like this. Anything change recently that would spark some nervous chewing? Maybe some others can pitch in here. It doesn't look scaly or anything in your pics... Looks like regular old chewing to me.

This is the only spot. No, it's not scaly or I would immediately think fungus. I put her under a black light today but it was inconclusive because the cream I had put on glowed around the area, not on it though or anywhere else which is good.

I did see her briefly chew at the area today but gave her a fungus treatment and thoroughly cleaned her cage/ all cages today.

Her cagemate has no signs of fungus and did not have it under the backlight.

I may do one more treatment then leave her alone. She had a lot of fur slip today.

I really think she is chewing. She is in a quiet room and I handle her daily but she has been through a lot before coming here, two months ago.

Plus I clean the fleece liners (w bleach) every 2-3 days and disinfect the cages.

I have one that does this. I too thought fungus, but it is not. I bought her a wheel and give her more playtime. She is very high strung, very friendly but just a spaz.

I also have a bit of a problem with fur chewing, but it's right between the front legs and only there. I'm not sure why he does it and I don't know where the fur goes... there is never any in his cage. Do fur chewers typically eat their fur? He certainly isn't underfed and has a healthy diet so I don't really know what could cause it.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I think you can see it best in the second photo... the fur is starting to grow back a bit but he just keeps on chewing.

I have one that does this. I too thought fungus, it is not. I bought her a wheel and give her more playtime. She is very high strung, very friendly but just a spaz.

They're all sondifferent. It's hard to know why they chew.

I had one that chewed a big patch on his side the day his owner packed up to move. He was surrendered with a little bald patch but it's growing back.

This girl has an exersaucer but doesn't really run in it. She has a wood house, ledge, hammock, tunnel, apple wood, hanging toy, and loofa. I just think it's a new habit. Her favorite thing is to sleep.

She came to me with brand new babies and took rearing them very seriously but I believe being a mom has changed her, poor thing. I bought her just to save her from an unfortunate fate from a family with a two year old that was divorcing. She had at least two owners prior to that.

Last edited:
Back