frustrated

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinchillalady

Well, Gabe is sick again. :( I went for a walk with the kids yesterday, and on the last leg of the walk we stopped at Target. I noticed Gabe wasn't acting right, so we got the stuff we needed and left. When I got home I took his temperature and noticed it was high. He didn't want to eat or drink, so we called his pediatrician and they said to come in.

So, we went in and she looked at him and said his throat was red. Said to give him tylenol and wait to give him a sippy cup. Well, we were giving him the tylenol and it really wasn't doing much of anything. The last straw was when he spiked a fever of 103. We then went to the ER.

So, we have to keep him hydrated as best we can. They suggested motrin, which seems to be helping better than the tylenol. He started getting diarrhea, so hopefully that's helping get rid of whatever is in there causing an infection. I'm hoping the fever is gone by tomorrow, because if it's not gone by Saturday, we have to take him in for more tests (they did a urine test and a strep test). Poor little guy....he just got over being sick and he's sick again.

NO answers yet as to why he is sick? Strep? His immune system was probably still down from his first round of sickness and didn't take much to make him sick again. Maybe probiotics to get his immune system back up? I'm so sorry he is sick. It is tough to see your kids sick and I have always wished I could be sick for my kids. Hopefully he won't be down long and will get on the healthy road again! Good luck!

Aww, I've gone through similar times with my kids too. It's never easy, either on the parent or the child.

Diarrhea is a symptom of illness though, not something that will get rid of an infection.

Pedialyte will help, or gatorade. My pediatricians always told me to use the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. The fiber in those foods help with diarrhea.

So sorry, I know it's a miserable time. :(

NO answers yet as to why he is sick? Strep? His immune system was probably still down from his first round of sickness and didn't take much to make him sick again. Maybe probiotics to get his immune system back up? I'm so sorry he is sick. It is tough to see your kids sick and I have always wished I could be sick for my kids. Hopefully he won't be down long and will get on the healthy road again! Good luck!

I kept forgetting to come on here with the results of the poo test. It came back negative for anything, and the diarrhea went away. The strep/urine test came back negative as well.

And with the diarrhea, I know it's a sign of illness. The pediatrician said it's a viral infection. I know the diarrhea won't get rid of an infection, but maybe it'll clear out any possible bacteria that may be in there. :) Sorry, would have quoted your response, but I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes. LOL!

Aww, I'm glad he's doing better! :) I always felt so horrible when my little ones were sick--especially when they were too young to tell me what was wrong, or what was hurting.

Viral infections are so frustrating. A bacterial infection usually clears up with antibiotics, but viral ones...arg. You usually have to let it run it's course. That's so hard to do when your baby is miserable. I hope you both can get some rest.

i understand your frustration. it must be worrisome to have your baby sick and showing weird symptoms. Here, some bug going around. everyone at school's getting sick, including me. gosh... i understand how your baby feels. i'd rather be well and go to school, even though i don't like school, than be sick and skip it.

Hope your baby gets better soon! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Glad he is feeling better. This year my son got strep throat & now he has 5th disease, which is just a really annoying rash!!
Does Gabe go to preschool or does he have older siblings?? He is probably getting it from them. There has been a lot of stomach viruses going around this year!
I hope he is back to himself for the holiday weekend!

Glad he is feeling better. This year my son got strep throat & now he has 5th disease, which is just a really annoying rash!!
Does Gabe go to preschool or does he have older siblings?? He is probably getting it from them. There has been a lot of stomach viruses going around this year!
I hope he is back to himself for the holiday weekend!

Gabe actually has a younger sister. I'm a stay at home mom, so he doesn't go to preschool or daycare. I'm guessing he may have caught it from one of his cousins (they go to daycare), one had a runny nose and one was coughing. He's sleeping right now, so I'm going to leave him be, so he can rest up and get on the mend.

Off topic, I see you're from New Jersey. Did you name one of your chins after the guitarist from Bon Jovi? (Sorry if that seems silly, just noticed and I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan.)

lol!! NO my son named him. he thougt it would be funny to name him after his uncle richie! now he regrets it and wishes he named him somthing like fluffy!! i wish i got to name him but once you get one chin you know they will be in your life forever, so I get to name the next one!!
But i LOVE bon jovi too!!! :)

I am glad Gabe is starting to feel better. I really hope he is done being sick.

I hope he is, too. He spiked up a little earlier, but is better now. I hope his diarrhea only lasts a couple more days. He did eat a little more today, which is good. He really hasn't eaten much the past day, but I guess if I wasn't feeling well, I wouldn't, either.

quick update

Well, Gabe has an ear infection. He has to be on meds for 10 days and at night we have to use a cool mist humidifier and a vapo rub for his cough. Hopefully once the meds kick in, he'll get his appetite back.

Poor li'l guy! I hope this is it for him for a long while! I remember when my boys were small. My first born had a ton of ear infections, up until the age of 2. He almost needed tubes but he stopped having ear infections by 2. But I remember how awful he would feel and I would feel so bad for him, especially since I really couldn't do anything to make him feel better. I'm glad those days are behind me. But now at 10, he's had 2 broken arms, so it doesn't get any easier being a mom!!!

Latest posts

Back