fruits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
are there any types of fruits that are good for chinchillas? i'm really confused right now :/

Nope, none, none, and none. There's a lot of misinformation out there that says it's okay and I even see pet stores giving it as daily food, but it is WRONG and very very bad for them!

I've never given mine fruits or veggies because I've read it's bad for them. I'm just curious as to why though. Is it their digestive systems?

I've never given mine fruits or veggies because I've read it's bad for them. I'm just curious as to why though. Is it their digestive systems?

The sugars in fruits and vegetables are a huge problem in a chins digestive system. After it ferments it can produce gas, and the chin can go into stasis immediately and if not treated right away the chin can die.

I visited the Bronx Zoo a few weeks ago and was watching the chinchilla up in their little "behind the scenes" hidey hole and saw all sorts of veggies. :(

The chin had 2 babies, too, which I wish I could have gotten a better look at. Usually they advertise when they have babies at the zoo, I didn't hear anything about these two.

I have been feeding my chins Goji Berries for over 5 years and never had a problem in their health yet.

I have been feeding my chins Goji Berries for over 5 years and never had a problem in their health yet.

Goji's are pretty low in sugar and high in fiber. The only thing that concerns me about them is reports that show they have anti-coagulent effects.

Goji's are pretty low in sugar and high in fiber. The only thing that concerns me about them is reports that show they have anti-coagulent effects.

This has been reported with humans, but with people that are on blood thinner should watch out when eating the berry. Goji Berries have a very slight anti-coagulent effect. The benefits out perform almost any food on the market. The only other natural food at the top for health is bee pollen. My chins also get this once a week along with the goj berries.

Back