Food prices?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I have been hunting around for the best deal I can find on pet food, but not the cheap stuff. My local Petsmart charges 16.99 for a five pound bag of oxbow. A locally owned pet store sells a 10 pound bag for $16! Petsmart also sells Mazuri for $10 for a 2.5 pound bag. I bought a 25 pound bag for $15 at the same local petstore. I can't seem to find a better deal online than I can get at this local store. Only bad thing is there is no way my chins are going to eat 25 pounds of Mazuri. Anybody in MD need some? :p

AZChins sells Maxuri. Contact her. I think Essentia does too.

Susan sells mazuri for very good prices and she ships as well. Just google azchins and you will come across her site~

I'll let you know if I hear of anyone in MD that has chins because they would probably be thrilled to split a bag with you. At worst you use as much as you can before it is six months old and throw out the rest. You're saving a lot of money on it, so it's worth it. Even with finding the cheapest shipping it's still going to be about the same price as you are paying for 25 lbs as it would be for only 10 lbs.

A bag of Mazuri if you get a good mill date can technically last up to a year. Most people only keep it for 6 months or so. I had only one little guy and he went through most of a bag of 25lb of Mazuri before I had to throw it out. I think if you put all of your chins on Mazuri that you would easily use it all up before the 6 month mark. Just see if you can get a very fresh mill date. Or you could switch everyone but momma to Oxbow and buy the 10lb bags which are still not extremely expensive at your feed store. PetsMart is a bit overpriced on everything.

Our prices here are exactly the same for Oxbow and Mazuri at PetSmart and a local feed store.

My 5 went through a 10 pound bag of Oxbow in about a month. So if you're feeding four right now a 25 pound bag may not last you as long as you would think. =)

I know the feeling. When i first started feeding my chins the Select Series food, it was $12 for a 50 lbs bag 0.0 Even with 5 chins... i ain't making a dent in a bag that big. Sad thing was i didn't know anyone around me with chins or rabbits that i could give the extra to.

Fortunately i was able to give some away to a girl i used to work with. Eventually she told me that she only had one problem with the food. (Much like myself) She tried to mix the food with what she had left, but her chins started to refuse to eat the old food lol. And would only eat the food i gave her. :D

Eventually i found out they had a 25 lbs for around $8. With changing their food every day, i almost get through the entire bag.

Back