FN cage shelf/ramp covers from Foster & Smith

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teekachin

I just ordered my first Ferret Nation (the great price on Amazon!). I'm so excited!! :dance3:

I want to cover the shelves somehow. I've seen different types on here. I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used the shelf and ramp covers that Drs Foster & Smith sell that are made specially for the ferret nation. It's here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19628

I came across it when I was researching the FN cage and just wonder if it's a good product. Anyone have comments?

Truthfully, the chinchillas don't need the ramps that are provided in the FN cages - they just jump to whereever they want to go! I wouldn't spend money on the ramp covers, though they do look significantly safer with the fabric over them. Instead of ramps, put in some wooden ledges for them to use, though most chins can easily jump from one shelf to another.

Are you worried about your chins chewing on the shelves or the shelves getting pee stained? I don't know how the upholstery would go over, but from what I understand fleece is really the only safe fabric for chins because it doesn't unravel. You might look into buying a yard or so of fleece, cutting it to fit, then maybe using the alligator paper clips to hold them in place. I think the fleece would be easier to wash, too (not to mention cheaper!).

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the material is made out of but it says it is polyfilled. If your chin were to rip it open they could probably ingest the filling which would not be good. Ask around here- there are several suppliers that are great sewers and could probably make you something with fleece. Fleece is really the only fabric recommended for chins because it it harder to tear apart and does not fray.

I'm actually experimenting with different products made from fleece, and I added this to the list. I can PM you when I've figured something out, if you like!

I wouldn't buy the ones from the website like Stacie said. If they're filled with polyfil, that's only asking for your chin to rip them open and eat the stuffing.

You can get people to make you fleece ones which are safe if you don't know how to sew. I've made them in the past for people and am actually making a set right now. If you are interested in something like that you can always pm me.

Or if you know how to sew it shouldn't be too hard for you to make them for yourself :))

Thanks for the comments!

You are totally right about the filling - I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that :wacko: I did make fleece linings for the cage they're in now... but I definitely don't have natural sewing skills!! So, I may contact one of ya. Thanks for the offers.

As far as the ramps, you are right of course and I'll be taking one of the ramps out. However, my little Star loves to lay on ramps! Don't ask me why, she's just one unique little chinnie all the way around - a lop-sided view of the world just fits her :cute:

I just got my FN 142 setup this past week. I would not bother using any of the ramps and shelves that come with it. Infact I'm tempted to contact Midwest to see if it is feasible to offer the FN 142 cage product without the accessories that most Chin owners don't end up using.

As far as the ramps, you are right of course and I'll be taking one of the ramps out. However, my little Star loves to lay on ramps! Don't ask me why, she's just one unique little chinnie all the way around - a lop-sided view of the world just fits her :cute:

Definitely get something to cover it, then, if you are going to keep it in..and take it out until you do. There have been several stories of chinchillas getting their legs caught in between bars of ramps and getting severe injuries and broken legs.

Thanks for the warning! I'm not going to put them into the new cage until I have it completely ready - so no worries.

Quality Mutation Chinchillas website has fleece covers for the FN's ramps. I don't have them personally, but I saw them on the site and they look like what you would want.

I use the shelves that came with the FN142 (I have two FN's). I just got some fleece and sewed two layers together. It's not too hard as far as sewing skills go, just straight lines and turn. If you need help with measurements I could probably help you out with that and a kinda how to put together. I made up my own and it's working out great. I think I went and bought about $50 worth of fleece and I have had enough to make 10 shelf covers and like 10 hammocks. I did go to Joann's though when they had a major sale on fleece and took in a coupon so I could get some of the fun fleece. But yeah making your own is SOOO much cheaper, I like having back up sets so I can just switch and wash the other set without it having to be ASAP.

Back