Flying with Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

My son is flying to SLC in a few weeks and I am hoping he can bring back some chins from Craners for me and a few other people. Has anyone experienced flying with chins? Do they travel as carryon or do they fly down in the hold? Need to know if there was a cost, where animals travrelled or anything else I should know.

It usually is more inexpensive to fly with the chinchillas(than sending them on their own.). As far as I know, most airlines don't allow carry on - the chinchillas still go in the cargo hold. They will fly in the cargo on the same flight your son is on though and will be checked in as baggage. That is how the airlines do that here.

Usually what costs $100 (example) to fly a chinchilla on their own, only costs $40 to fly them as checked baggage with you on the flight. I know here, they do put the chinchillas on the luggage carousel though, if they are checked as baggage. I did the same thing with a couple chinchillas when flying from Calgary back home, once. Normally I would have paid like $100 for them, but I only paid $40 by checking them in as baggage.

I didn't even have to make any extra flight arrangements for them other than my usual flight arrangements for myself. That was through Air Canada, but I am sure most airlines are the same.

I figured that they would not go as carryon as from what I have heard airlines are starting to not allow pets as carryon. What I mostly need is the details as to what is involved with making arrangements, costs and experiences people have had doing this, My son and his friend will be flying from Seattle to Salt Lake City. middle of April.

If flying Alaska, you have to call ahead and make a reservation both to fly with them as well as to let them know you will be having a pet chinchilla carrier to check in. It will cost $100 per carrier. I have carried 10 chins this way. It was a Ryerson type carrier. They are particular about the carrier type so clear yours well before the time of travel. If the Craners are sending a crate just make sure they know it is airline approved. I have not had problems with the round trips to Sacramento and Denver. Best if you can lock the carrier as curious employee's will try to pet them and my biggest fear is them escaping. Check with the airlines for all their conditions as each is different.

Back