Fleece Items without a sewing machine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
I was looking into buying a few fleece things for my little ones, but came to the conclusion it would be more cost effective to make them myself, since I'm broke. Only thing is, I dont own a sewing machine, just needle and thread :(

I'd really like to make a few hammocks, a cuddle bed, and maybe a few cuddle pillows - but I dont want to spend my life away sewing around the clock. All the tutorials I've looked at require TONS of sewing and a machine to make it easier. Does anyone know how I can make any of the above items(or ANYTHING else for that matter!) with the least amount of sewing?

I sewed a sleeping cube in a day and a half, hand sewing doesn't take very long if you have everything planned out. But that's just my opinon, sewing machines tend to hate me.

Hammocks would be simple to make with a hand-sewer, so would the cuddle pillows. Yes, it would take awhile, but it wouldn't be too terrible. Now if you wanted to make liners with a hand-sewer.... probably best not to, for the sake of your sanity.

I see free sewing machines on Craigslist every couple months (in my area). Keep an eye out there as well.

I can whip out a hammock, tube cover, even a cuddle buddy in less than 15 minutes with my sewing machine. It would literally take HOURS to do by hand. I can't even imagine...I'm really not that patient!

The only things I sew by hand are things I can't stuff into my sewing machine like dog toys and buttons (although you CAN do buttons on a machine).

I, too, would recommend finding a cheap machine for your own sanity.

i have been wondering the same thing for a while now. i would love to hand-sew some things for gizmo's cage. my roommates mom let us borrow her old sewing machine but its been a horrendous task just to get it started. while ive been toying with the idea of just sewing liners by hand, i dont think they'd be too durable. aside from your sanity falling apart, i would think that something handsewn may not survive too many washes. thats just my opinion though. the stitch made from sewing machines is so sturdy, i would suggest just purchasing a sewing machine...or.....CHRISTMAS list it!

I was doing my liners by hand.....it does take a while...but it wasn't awful.

Have a sewing machine now though. In fact I cranked out two sets today.

I wonder if the "no sew" blanket method would work for a little chin pillow? Just stuff it with fleece of course.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4676312_no-sew-fleece-blanket.html

Took your advice, Bentley says thank you! :thumbsup:

2qcf18z.jpg

aww he looks adorable!!

I am actually considering buying a cheap sewing machine just for fleece items for my Chin...spoiled I tell ya ;) Nothing but the best for her!

I have "tied" liners and sewed liners....... It takes about the same time..... But my kids can help me tie so it makes a fun family night

I've never had one come apart. As long as you double knot. I've made many quilts this same way and never had any come undone.

He looks so comfy, too cute, I tried the no stitch method but my guys just chewed the fringe.

I have hand sewed simple hammocks, and corner hammocks, if you do a simple stitch (dont know what it is called) it takes a bit but I found it relaxing and it held together great, I use the fleece remenants from the bins at walmart. I even have figured out a way to get the tabs on it to hang. I use left over straps of fleece or webbed belts my kids wont wear and sew them into the corners. Not always pretty like the sewing machines do but nice just the same.

Last edited:
I picked up an older sewing machine off craigslist for $25, it was tuned up last year, so that is a $70 savings. New sewing machines are nice but the older ones last forever. There is a reason they still work after 30 or 40 years. I am still trying to figure mine out but there are tons of websites and videos with info.

I hand sew all of my liners... I can crank one out in about 4 hours. Mind you... my hands are all cramped I sew pretty fast, but hey to each their own! I've also sewn all but one of my hammocks and they took about 20 minutes a piece. It's really not that bad when you get into a rhythm!

Latest posts

Back